Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 Lariat 4x4 chirp/squeak in dash with Video.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Lariat 4x4 chirp/squeak in dash with Video.

Okay guys, I have a 2004 f150 Lariat super crew 4x4 and I have a chirp/squeaking noise from hell. I just had a brand new engine installed and since then, this noise has been here. I have found plenty of threads about chirping sounds in the dash but none of them have solved my problem. I have torn my dash apart and still cannot isolate this sound.... The chirp is non stop while driving down the road. The noise seems to get worse the hotter the truck gets. It gets louder when I hit bumps on the road... It sounds like metal on metal rubbing against each other.. Or maybe Styrofoam... I am almost certain It is not the dash plastics because I have removed most of them and the noise persists... Also anything I push on or move, I cannot get the noise to stop.. So I cannot isolate the sound... It seems like it's coming from the drivers side or possibly towards the center of the dash?? ... I also notice that when the truck is completely off and I slam the door, it will chirp/squeak.. So it occurs when the truck shakes.. So I assume it's something loose... But what?! I drive my truck over 100 miles per day. When I get home from work I can still hear this chirp in my head... I am going insane!! someone please help? Does anyone have advice?
Here is a video so you can hear for yourself..

Last edited by Billyonaire; 05-05-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Billyonaire
Okay guys, I have a 2004 f150 Lariat super crew 4x4 and I have a chirp/squeaking noise from hell. I just had a brand new engine installed and since then, this noise has been here. I have found plenty of threads about chirping sounds in the dash but none of them have solved my problem. I have torn my dash apart and still cannot isolate this sound.... The chirp is non stop while driving down the road. The noise seems to get worse the hotter the truck gets. It gets louder when I hit bumps on the road... It sounds like metal on metal rubbing against each other.. Or maybe Styrofoam... I am almost certain It is not the dash plastics because I have removed most of them and the noise persists... Also anything I push on or move, I cannot get the noise to stop.. So I cannot isolate the sound... It seems like it's coming from the drivers side or possibly towards the center of the dash?? ... I also notice that when the truck is completely off and I slam the door, it will chirp/squeak.. So it occurs when the truck shakes.. So I assume it's something loose... But what?! I drive my truck over 100 miles per day. When I get home from work I can still hear this chirp in my head... I am going insane!! someone please help? Does anyone have advice?
Here is a video so you can hear for yourself..

2004 f150 annoying chirp in dash - YouTube

Open and close your tail gate i have the same issue but its in the tail gate.

(Being serious i have the same sound and went crazy trying to find it)
Old 05-05-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've heard lots about tailgate squeaks being hard to isolate where the noise is coming from. Heard similar stories to yours. Go for a drive with it down and see how the goes! Report back I wanna know if it helped! Haha
Old 05-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the response but No this is coming from the dash.. With the truck idling in Park, You can stick your head under the steering wheel near the foot pedals and the sound is clearly coming from somewhere within the dash.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue bro been trying to find it for years but no luck. I just turn the stereo up so I don't hear it haha .
Old 05-05-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Damon21
I have the same issue bro been trying to find it for years but no luck. I just turn the stereo up so I don't hear it haha .
I am losing my mind haha.. It is like listening to nails on a chalk board the whole time I am driving my truck. It makes me not even want to drive it.. I really need to find this problem. :-(
Old 05-05-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am losing my mind haha.. It is like listening to nails on a chalk board the whole time I am driving my truck. It makes me not even want to drive it.. I really need to find this problem. :-(
Haha trust me I was the same way too. Haha yup it does my guess is it could be like a loose screw or something yeah it is annoying the first times I heard it. Wish I could help but I'm on the same boat too.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for the response but No this is coming from the dash.. With the truck idling in Park, You can stick your head under the steering wheel near the foot pedals and the sound is clearly coming from somewhere within the dash.
Did you even try driving with tail gate down? U do know sound travels
Old 05-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Take the advice given!!! Try it with your tailgate down. You will be surprised. I had the same issue. Sounded like it was from the dash. I got out and shook the tailgate. Sure enough it was squeaking. Looked at the plastic around the latching points and it was worn down. Temporarily wrapped electrical tape around them, no more squeak.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Make another video of the sound when the truck is idle

Quick Reply: 2004 Lariat 4x4 chirp/squeak in dash with Video.