Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 I did put on a new timing kit... still have a tick at cold start??

Old 12-29-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2004 I did put on a new timing kit... still have a tick at cold start??

Ok so I have an 04 (149k) and on Thursday I finished doing the whole timing kit... I put In New phasers,chains,guides, tensioners and seals. And I also changed my oil put in motorcraft 5w20 synthetic and motorcraft filter.
(So when I got into the engine I had a broken guide and both tensioner seals were bad)
So the truck ran great all day Thursday an fri..sounded like new... then Saturday morn on cold start I noticed it had an engine tick again... now every cold start it has it...(it seems it goes away once the engine wants up a little) even sometimes it has it for short time on warm start. So my question is Should I drop my oil pan and look fir clogged pickup screen? Should I do the seafoam treatment??
Also I'm still have problems with rough idle... my sct can hide tht by adjusting the idle up, but I really would like the rough idle solved too.
Any help would b appreciated!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Have you ruled out the infamous exhaust manifold leak?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:36 PM

Well I had one side go bad and had tht changed already. And it hardly sounds like exhaust leak. I'm thinkin of running sea foam through to clean any build up and then drop my oil pan and check my pickup screen for broken pieces of chain guides etc. Could a clogged screen be the reason for my rough-stall idle.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

I would definetly drop the pan since you had a broken guide. I don't think a restricted pickup screen would cause a rough idle though.

Last edited by screamineagle; 12-29-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Did you use Dorman parts? They're known to fail quickly.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:12 PM

No I bought a complete kit of motorcraft parts tht included updated phasers.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doug06fx4screw
I would definetly drop the pan since you had a broken guide. I don't think a restricted pickup screen would cause a rough idle though.
Ok so I have heard some of y'all talk of a fuel pump driver module (or something like tht) If it goes bad it can cause rough idle or stall at low rpms while in gear... can anyone enlighten me on tht?
Old 12-29-2014, 02:31 PM

I plan to run sea foam though my truck this afternoon and drop my oil pan tonight to check my pickup screen
Old 12-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by live2hunt-hunt2live
Ok so I have heard some of y'all talk of a fuel pump driver module (or something like tht) If it goes bad it can cause rough idle or stall at low rpms while in gear... can anyone enlighten me on tht?
The FPDM is mounted just above the spare tire. The back side of the FPDM is aluminum. The alum and steel interact and usually the aluminum loses the war and gets eaten by electrolysis. So, if your FPDM body is eaten or gone, the electronic components will be exposed to water and dirt.
The FPDM is held on by two small bolts and has one clip in electronic connector.
If it needs to be replaced, get a new one o Amazon for $58...
Old 12-29-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

X2 on dropping the oil pan to look for broken pieces in the pick up screen. As far as the rough idle, have you done any preventive maintenance like cleaning the throttle body or maf? How old are the plugs? These engines have loud fuel injectors that tick as well, a mechanics stethoscope will help determine where the ticking is coming from if it lasts long enough for you to probe around for the sound. Also, you can get some ticking if you did not torque the spark plugs down, did you remove them when you changed the timing components? Check the torque on the plugs, I believe it is 25 ft/lbs, but you may want to check the specs first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 I did put on a new timing kit... still have a tick at cold start??