Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 FX4 F-150 Shaking on turns.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2004 FX4 F-150 Shaking on turns.

I picked up an 04 fx4 not long ago at auction, got it for a screaming good deal, 165k miles in very good shape, did VCTs and such, and today got my first chance to take it on a decent drive.

When I initially left, I didn't notice anything, but as the ride progressed- every turn, especially left hand turns, I would get a horrible grinding sound/feel to the back driver side- almost as if the brake maybe wasn't releasing, stuck caliper type feel. it got worse and worse, with some times being much more noticeable than others.

Got home, took the back left tire off, and did some snooping, nothing out of the ordinary. Pads are fine, rotor isn't in horrible shape, enough for me to think it's the culprit, let it cool down, and drove it around a bit. Noticed it as I backed out, didn't notice it while doing donuts in the field. Hooked onto my trailer, and started to back out at an angle, shuddering.

She kept having the back end shake in reverse while backing out, since I was on dirt/mud I tossed it into 4wd, same shudder, back out, same thing.

I've done a fair bit of reading up on things on my phone while messing with it, but hard to narrow down exactly what the culprit it.

It is the 3.73 LS, and I just added 4oz of friction modifier.

I'm guessing maybe change fluids, maybe clutch pack. The biggest question for me- I am supposed to be taking a 1400 mile trip in the next week or 2, safe to drive on it? I haven't heard any horror stories, and have read that it's annoying and some people just ignore it for awhile. It certainly doesn't have any issues/shaking/shuddering at highway/interstate speeds, which is what 99% of my driving will be.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can chuck my way.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently having the same issue. I've had mine for less than a week and the first day the shuttering in rear was a real aggressive feeling (like having it in 4x4) but as I have driven it the past couple days it seems to be almost un-noticeable. I also have a faint whining type sound coming from the rear. Ive heard could be wrong trans fluid, need new clutch pack, pinion bearings.

Did the friction modifier work?

Thanks hope you get it fixed
Old 07-14-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2004 FX4 F-150 Shaking on turns.

I had this problem. 4 oz. Of friction modifier, correct oil in rear, and it went away after a few days of driving.
The following users liked this post:
jdsharpsky88 (07-15-2015)

Quick Reply: 2004 FX4 F-150 Shaking on turns.