Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 ford f150 5.4

Old 03-24-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 ford f150 5.4

I could certainly use some help on this one please . I have been toying with and repairing my own vehicles for many years but just recently purchased a 2004 fi50 4x4 with a 5.4 engine . The owner sold it to me and told me the engine was seized and the vehicle hadnt run for a couple of months . I purchased it with the thought of replacing the engine but after parking in my shop and charging the battery the truck turned over and attempted to fire up . The truck acted as if it were flooded and by holding the throttle to the floor , it did run , but only for a few seconds and I had no throttle response at all . I decided to change the spark plugs and change the oil . Those plugs are something else but I removed seven with not too much effort and cracked the fourth . Asked my handy Napa friends about this and they advised me of the kit to remove the broken one . That kit is a must have with those plugs.
Truck fired up right away but still ran a few seconds and shut off , again no throttle resonse .I discovered that by using the oxygen from my torch and forcing air into the air cleaner , the engine would keep running , but still no throttle . The only code that showed was for cam sensor and I replaced both . Still same problem . If I let it sit for a few hours it will start and run for a few seconds , otherwise it still acts as if flooded .There is no engine noise , ticking , clicking , etc while canking or running and no more codes showing on the OTC Gennisis Scanner . Please help . I must be missing something on this one . Thanx in advance .
Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 PM
s_vares

Received 430 Likes on 84 Posts

When you press the throttle does the plate open?

check the timing with your scanner
Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the exact same problem, pull off the valve covers start with the Drivers side its the easear one to remove and check for slack in the timing chains, for some reasion the oil presure drops every now and again and the hydrolic slack adjusters back off just enough for the chain to jump. if thats the case you need a engine. if thats the case I just got one from Eagle engines.com the have great prices and the ship every were in the US. and no I dont work for them just a great place

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 ford f150 5.4