Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 F150 XLT 4X4 question

Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 F150 XLT 4X4 question

New owner of a used 2004 F150 with 44K and I have a couple of issues going on, the fist when I give it gas the rearend tend to have a vibration or shuttering and then it goes away, sometime it wont do it at all. If I put it in 4X4 and then go back to normal it will then do it more often and then go away, it happens on a staight path and on turns. The other thing was when I place the truck on 4X4 low is it normal for the RPM's to reach 3K before wheels kick in, it just does not feel that smooth in both positions HI and LOW, but of course the HI does not result in such HI RPM's. The conditions where dry pavement and I know its not good to test in does conditions but I just want to see how the 4X4 was shifting! Just new to Fords coming from a Nissan 4X4 where being ing HI or LOW was really smoth to drive. What is normal behavior of the F150 in HI and LOW?

Thanks

Louie
Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Neither of those symptoms are normal.

First, check your transmission fluid level. What you're describing sounds like transmission shudder more than anything else.
I was going to say that the vibration you were feeling was clutch chatter from you differential, but I don't think that's it since you said it also does it while traveling straight.

And your 2nd symptom kinda makes me nervous. 4WD HI shouldn't drive any different than 2WD except when you go around turns. In that case you'll feel a binding up in the drive line, and feel the tires dragging. In a straight path of travel, the worst thing you should notice is maybe a slight whining noise from the transfer case, when you get on and off the "GO" pedal.

As far as 4WD LOW, the gearing is so low that when you put it in drive, even at an idle, the truck will want to move even with your foot on the brake. The fact that you have to tach it up to 3000rpm for it to move is a problem. Once in 4WD low, it will drive kinda JERKY because the low gearing magnifies the acceleration when you hit the gas. That's normal.
So I'm going with a tranny/torque converter, or fluid level problem. (guessing though, without seeing it)

Last edited by driver444; 03-24-2010 at 12:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 F150 XLT 4X4 question