Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 F150 Will not start possible fuse problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 F150 Will not start possible fuse problem

had a problem last night with my F150. the check engine light came on and I took it to AutoZone to have them check the code. The clerk connected the scanner to the data port and the system didn't read any codes. the clerk told me that the data port fuse may have been blow so i checked the fuse box to make sure. there was one fuse that sure enough was blown so i replaced it and asked them to check the truck again. i tried to start the truck and i heard a clicking sound coming from the fuse box and the truck didn't start. no power to the instrument cluster or the radio. i have headlights, and tail lights. the truck won't start and the i can't get the shifter out of park.
i checked the fuses and none of them seem to be blown. i could not check the larger fuses, the relays "i think" because it am not sure how to.

has anyone ever had this problem before and know how to fix it? i am really at a loss on how to figure out how to fix the problem. any trouble shooting tips would be greatly appreciated.

thank you and God bless...
Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Mark

Received 2,412 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Being that you can't get your truck out of park...I would start with the shift interlock switch...this could be telling your truck it's not in park and will not start.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked for two weeks for the shift interlock solenoid, but no joy.
It was driving me crazy that I could not find the one that Autozone was telling me was supposed to fit. The Dorman 924-733 for the 2004 Ford F150. The one that has the "C" mount at the end of the plunger.
I did manage to find a shift interlock that fits right under the key. Its a Dorman 924-734 and it's supposed to be for a 2005 F150.
Here it is the as you can see the clip on the end is broken. Now I need to replace it and I should be all set.

2004 F150 Will not start possible fuse problem-img_0474v2.jpg
2004 F150 Will not start possible fuse problem-img_0471v2.jpg

Can anyone give me some instructions on how to remove and replace it without me having to take the truck apart completely? I am not sure about taking the metal housing over the steering column. Would that cause a problem? I've already taken the steering wheel off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you and God bless

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Will not start possible fuse problem