Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 F150 Turbocharged Advice

Old 10-06-2016, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 F150 Turbocharged Advice

Right now I am in the process of trying to turbocharge my 2004 f150. I already know about all the supercharger kits out there and am not interested. This project is going to be my daily driver so outrageous horsepower figures are not in mind but I would like to try and be between 350-400 hp at the rear wheels. I am doing this for better towing and also just so I can say I did it. As far as research on the subject I have done almost every bit of research possible so I am prepared to take on the challenge. The following list is everything I think I will need but if another member with more experience could chime in that would be great. I am just trying to get others opinion on the matter and to double check that I have everything needed to complete the project so that it doesn't end up just being a moneypit. This is going to be a mid-mount turbo (just after the y-pipe) and all the cold side piping is going to be custom fabricated.

2004 F150 2wd extended cab 6.5 ft bed
5.4 Triton 3 valve- stock internals

On3 70 mm turbo .68 a/r exhaust housing
50 mm BOV
44mm Wastegate
Intercooler- 2.5 inch piping from turbo to intercooler and 3 inch from intercooler to TB
Tuning- Blow by racing (Sct Xcal)
Injectors- Ford racing 42lb or 39 lb

The only things I was not sure of are
1. Do I need a new fuel pump?
2. Which oil pump would be best and do I need an oil cooler?
3. Can I use stock spark plugs?

The reason the a/r housing is so small is because one of the goals is to spool the turbo as quickly as possible. These trucks redline at 5k so I'm not to worried about it being to restrictive up top. Please do not say not to do this project because I know it can be done reasonably. I would appreciate any opinions especially from those that have done something like this.

Thank you,
Jake
Old 10-06-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I don't have any pertinent technical advise (sorry) but please post updates. This sounds like an interesting project and I'm going to follow along to see how it goes. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishermanjkg
Right now I am in the process of trying to turbocharge my 2004 f150. I already know about all the supercharger kits out there and am not interested. This project is going to be my daily driver so outrageous horsepower figures are not in mind but I would like to try and be between 350-400 hp at the rear wheels. I am doing this for better towing and also just so I can say I did it. As far as research on the subject I have done almost every bit of research possible so I am prepared to take on the challenge. The following list is everything I think I will need but if another member with more experience could chime in that would be great. I am just trying to get others opinion on the matter and to double check that I have everything needed to complete the project so that it doesn't end up just being a moneypit. This is going to be a mid-mount turbo (just after the y-pipe) and all the cold side piping is going to be custom fabricated.

2004 F150 2wd extended cab 6.5 ft bed
5.4 Triton 3 valve- stock internals

On3 70 mm turbo .68 a/r exhaust housing
50 mm BOV
44mm Wastegate
Intercooler- 2.5 inch piping from turbo to intercooler and 3 inch from intercooler to TB
Tuning- Blow by racing (Sct Xcal)
Injectors- Ford racing 42lb or 39 lb

The only things I was not sure of are
1. Do I need a new fuel pump?
2. Which oil pump would be best and do I need an oil cooler?
3. Can I use stock spark plugs?

The reason the a/r housing is so small is because one of the goals is to spool the turbo as quickly as possible. These trucks redline at 5k so I'm not to worried about it being to restrictive up top. Please do not say not to do this project because I know it can be done reasonably. I would appreciate any opinions especially from those that have done something like this.

Thank you,
Jake
Not sure about the oil pump or cooler as I'm supercharged.

You need a new pump. This is the one I used: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.fuel-pumps.net/fordf150fuelpump.html&ved=0ahUKEwivnvfyg87PAhVMSCY KHS7bCwUQFghdMAA&usg=AFQjCNHQzdlwhJSq-Qqrm_VBtrRzL8E7XA&sig2=FOuZrf4yLGDgJfc_2yC3AQ

I would run one heat range cooler plugs. It'll make you less likely to detonate under boost.

Word of caution: I broke my transmission after being supercharged for about 1000 miles. I've towed with it, raced with it, etc.

I cracked the case, broke the OD servo spring and clip, and broke the reverse band. You need to consider upgrades to the transmission, at least a temp gauge and bigger cooler.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Turbocharged Advice