Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 f150 tick/knock in head

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 f150 tick/knock in head

Hey everybody I have a 2004 f150 with the 4.6 2v. The short version is I installed new hla's the noise stopped for about 10 miles then came back. Wondering what the next step to check is.

Full story: drove my pickup about 30 miles, including over a pass. Got to the next town started hearing the noise quickly pulled over and shut off the truck. Opened up the hood and discovered oil was low... I got it towed back to my house where I proceeded to put oil in. Noise stopped for about 5 mins then came back. Used a stethoscope and found that it seemed to be coming from the passenger side head. So I drained the oil changed the filter and put new stuff in (5w20). Noise stopped so I threw about half a can of seafoam in the oil thinking maybe some old stuff had clogged or stuck somewhere. drove it around town maybe 15 miles tops and the noise came back. I did some research discovered it sounded like bad hla's. I replaced these with new trickflow ones. Drove about 10 miles down the highway and through town. All was good, shut it off at a gas station and when I restarted the noise was back. I had planned on doing the oil again when I got home to remove the seafoam but would like anyone's input on what else I should check, are there ports that might have clogged in the head?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance,
Ben

Quick Reply: 2004 f150 tick/knock in head