Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 f150 shakes and sounds like old diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 f150 shakes and sounds like old diesel

During the first month my truck mildly shook about four times either when coming to a stop or leaving a stop. However, after some acceleration it was just fine. Later when it shook and died at a stop sign i took it in for a diagnostic. Result, i ended up changing some parts and it ran ok for a while. Two weeks later, it started to randomly shake in a violent manner. I took it in for more diagnostics but nothing showed and i couldn't get it to do it again. A week later same violent shake with sounds. Took it in and nothing showed in the diagnostics. A friend of a friend had a hand-held device and took the truck for the day and just drove it around hoping to get lucky, and he did! He got codes for the camshaft and the crankshaft sensors. According to him the truck was getting codes from the sensors that turned off one bank of cylinders and the truck was running on four cylinders rather than eight. He checked the different sensors and bypassed one (or more?) and the truck is running. I started reading the forum and found out that this particular engine has some problems. So far, i have read about people changing: vct solenoids,timing chain set, front crank seal, and cam phasers. In order to fix similar sounding problems. I think i am going to try all of these changes just in case, for the meter says the engine only has 41000 miles on it. Does anyone recommends/suggest something else?

Last edited by juanone; 05-08-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome the joys of owning a 5.4. Do a search and you will find many answers to your question from selenoids to injectors etc. Many call it the 5.4 diesel!

This link may help. https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/

Quick Reply: 2004 f150 shakes and sounds like old diesel