Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 F150 Rocker Panels filling with water !

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 F150 Rocker Panels filling with water !

I removed the floor mat on the drivers side, I noticed the rubber mat was a little wet in a small spot. I dried the carpet, 2 days later after a rain, I noticed the carpet and mat was wet again. I pulled the grey plastic piece off of the thresh hole to see water in the groove where the wiring harness is run through. I dried the water and pulled the plastic piece off the passenger side to fide water in the groove as well. The water is not coming in around the door molding. I suspect the water is coming in through maybe a drain hole from the roof ? I've looked and can't see any type of drain hole.

Any ideas out there?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i washed my engine bay, i had niagra falls flowing down the passenger side foot well... have you maybe washed your engine bay out recently?

if not, im willing to bet its the third brake light if you haven't had it replaced yet.

theres a few TSBs about a couple difference water entrances.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:47 PM

No, I haven't washed the engine bay out. I have noticed condinsation in the 3rd brake light. I checked around the backseat and the carpet around the back, not wet at all like the front corners at the end of the plastic thresh hole piece.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM

Prolly not the same source. But I was pulling back carpet on my passenger side to run an RCA wire..and found standing water in the track where the wires are under the plastic door piece. Carpet was wet too. I traced it back to my AC..it's not properly sealed where it evaporates to the outside. This reply may help someone. I have a service appointment scheduled.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:01 PM

I thought it might be from the A/C, however I don't know if it would cause the driver side to fill with water as well.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rsfret
I thought it might be from the A/C, however I don't know if it would cause the driver side to fill with water as well.
theres a tsb about the drainage plug on the firewall not being long enough. they make a part to fix that. basically the water reaches the end of the hole and then just drains back into the passenger footwell.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Cool, I'll check it out. I'm going to trace down the back as well, I hope the 3rd brake light is not leaking, but it could possibly be running down the back into the side trays. I think Ford should have given a little more thought to the 3rd BL. I had to have it resealed a month after I purchased it. Water was dripping from the roof in the rear causing the backseat and headliner to get soaked. I've replaced the driverside window regulator at 38,000. I bought the truck new in 2003 when the the 2004's came out. I only have 43,000 miles on it right now, but I am in fear things are about to start falling apart. It sure beats having a monthly payment though!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I had it on the passenger side of my 2005; endd up being the AC...as to the drivers side, you may want to check the cowl area (open the hood) to see if you have leaves and/or other debris clogging the drain area and forcing water into the body, working its way to the channel you describe.

To the person who has an appointment for this, keep us informed, as this has come up before as a topic; it would be good to know what the outcome is.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my driver side was doing this aswell, it ended up being the rubber gromment for the wires from the door to the cab. it was not seated correctly.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 PM

I'm willing to try anything at this point. Here in Columbus, Ga, we have had an extremely wet year. We all know, if this problem is not corrected, rust will set up.

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Rocker Panels filling with water !