Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 F150 Lariat - think it hydrolocked from the injectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 F150 Lariat - think it hydrolocked from the injectors

It happened this morning after a fuel filter change last night. I see that Ford covers 2005 models for hydrolocking from the injectors, but I don't see it for 2004's. I'm not 100% sure that's what happened just yet, but I'm fairly confident. How should I proceed? I'm guessing get it towed to a dealership and talk to them about what can be done and what Ford may cover?

it's a 2004 with 78,000 miles on it.

Brief desc of what happened:

I don't know where to start. I'm sick to my stomach and want to go back to bed. Here's what happened:

Yesterday I changed the fuel filter, air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor and added some injector cleaner to my tank. I took the truck for a ride and I could feel it was missing, so I went home. Total trip was about 3 minutes. Did some research and found out it could be air in the fuel lines since my truck doesn't have a return fuel line.

I spent a good bit of time checking all the hoses and wires making sure I didn't knock something loose while working on the air filter and MAF sensor. Everything appeared correct. I cranked it up this morning to see if it still sounded bad, and of course it did. It was making a loud knock, what appeared to be a metal on metal knock. After about 10 seconds I decided to turn it off, because it didn't sound good, when all of a sudden, WHACK! A loud clank and the engine killed. I knew it sounded like it just froze up, so I tried to start it again, and all I get is a starter click now, the engine doesn't budge.

Any ideas? I'm 95% sure I'm fawked at this point, with a 15K truck being worth 0 in a matter of hours. Anyone got any ideas? Anyone have any idea how much it will be to replace the engine in order to sell the truck?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 PM

Hey buddy. Sorry to hear about the engine. I think you need to get this to a competent tech so they can run some diagnostics and figure out exactly what is going on. I'm not able (nor is anyone else) to diagnose something this severe via internet.

Having said that, I recently replaced an engine in my own truck (04 F-150 with 95XXX miles) and it ended up costing me 1750.00 bucks. Plus 300.00 for shipping. If you are a decent mechanic it's not too bad a job to tackle. I'd help ya if you're close to me. (Missouri)

If you gotta pay somebody, I'd try to find a local (non-dealer) mechanic to do it for around 1000.00 labor. I think 1000.00 is a fair price for this job.

In any case, take a deep breath, rent a car (or get a loaner) and bite the bullet. No need to stress out, it happens to everyone eventually.

If you need a reliable source for the motor I can hook you up.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

why would you sell the truck after a new motor, you will hardly ever get any of the money youve put in as repairs back when you sell it so it would be in your best interest to keep it
Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
why would you sell the truck after a new motor, you will hardly ever get any of the money youve put in as repairs back when you sell it so it would be in your best interest to keep it
The short answer is that this truck has been nothing but problems and I was getting ready to get rid of it before this happened. Even after a new engine I'll still have brake problems, probably cam phaser problems, driveshaft problems and limited slip problems.

To the other guy, you said you replaced a 5.4L for $1750. Was that a used engine from a junkyard or a new block? I'm betting Ford won't help me, so I'm planning on doing a swap myself. I build offroad Jeeps and have done a few engine swaps in the past. I'm sure this one is much more complicated, but I have a friend that is a Ford tech that can help me if I run into trouble. I would like more info on where you got your engine, what it was (used engine, crate motor, block, whatever).

Thanks for your help. It's getting towed to my local Ford dealer today to get the final diagnosis.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Hey Hog,

Good, looks like you can say yourself some coin then. I got the motor from a place on the East coast. They had a bunch of surplus new motors they'd purchased from a local dealer (crate motors) and they sold me one for 1750 bucks. It cost 300 to ship from Maryland to Missouri and was here in 2 days Also, they required no core.
I inspected the motor inside and out when I recieved it and I was pleasantly surprised that it was brand new. Anyway, I'm gonna PM you the details. This was only a few months ago so they may have some more.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:36 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by BoxxerTech
Hey Hog,

Good, looks like you can say yourself some coin then. I got the motor from a place on the East coast. They had a bunch of surplus new motors they'd purchased from a local dealer (crate motors) and they sold me one for 1750 bucks. It cost 300 to ship from Maryland to Missouri and was here in 2 days Also, they required no core.
I inspected the motor inside and out when I recieved it and I was pleasantly surprised that it was brand new. Anyway, I'm gonna PM you the details. This was only a few months ago so they may have some more.
I would be very happy if I could get a similar deal. did it come with any warranty on the engine, parts or labor?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM

Hey Hog,

BTW, so you got one of their surplus engines, I guess? I see they sell used engines with about 20K on them, surplus engines and reman engines. $1,750 seems cheap for a surplus engine, but I just emailed them and I'll see what they say.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:27 PM

Yep I got a surplus engine. I know the price is pretty low, that's why I bought one. You can't even get a longblock for less than 3000 bucks.

Anyway, I had good luck with them and they exceeded my expectations. I hope you have as good luck wherever you source yours from!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:10 AM

Yep I got a surplus engine. I know the price is pretty low, that's why I bought one. You can't even get a longblock for less than 3000 bucks.

Anyway, I had good luck with them and they exceeded my expectations. I hope you have as good luck wherever you source yours from!
They don't have any more surplus engines. They want about 1900 for a used one with 25K. I can get a longblock with a warranty for about $2,800. I suspect I'm gonna get the longblock with a 3 year warranty, drive the truck for about 2 years and then sell it private party with 1 year of warranty left.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:48 AM

Nice find on the long block! I was pricing mine at around 4000 bucks around here. Good luck on the swap. It took me 2 weeks to do mine workin 3-4 hours a night after work and 1 weekend. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Lariat - think it hydrolocked from the injectors