2004 f150 how to quiet cam phasers? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



2004 f150 how to quiet cam phasers?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
fxmf4
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
HardcoreFx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: joplin mo
Posts: 2,032
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Default 2004 f150 how to quiet cam phasers?

Ok i got a 04 f150 and i was wondering if there was a cheapier way to quiet the dieseling/ticking noise like adding thicker oil or what? I dont want to pay an arm and a leg so i was wondering if you all could help me thanks.
HardcoreFx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Storm Chaser /Navy Vet
 
Storm Chasing Ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Converse, TX
Posts: 1,038
Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjr36 View Post
Ok i got a 04 f150 and i was wondering if there was a cheapier way to quiet the dieseling/ticking noise like adding thicker oil or what? I dont want to pay an arm and a leg so i was wondering if you all could help me thanks.
Check out the "sticky" on this. There's LOTS of info there about it.
Storm Chasing Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Moderator
5 Year Member
 
Bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lake Mary Florida
Posts: 9,139
Thanked 388 Times in 304 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Chasing Ford View Post
Check out the "sticky" on this. There's LOTS of info there about it.
X1000. Very common fault with the 5.4, and has been discussed quite a bit here.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
fxmf4
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
HardcoreFx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: joplin mo
Posts: 2,032
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Sorry my bad guys
HardcoreFx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
fxmf4
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
HardcoreFx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: joplin mo
Posts: 2,032
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Ok i got a question. I talked to a ford dealer and he has a 04 f150 with the 3v and he says he runs 10w40 and his noise pretty much went away but other people say dont do it.
HardcoreFx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Storm Chaser /Navy Vet
 
Storm Chasing Ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Converse, TX
Posts: 1,038
Thanked 38 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjr36 View Post
Ok i got a question. I talked to a ford dealer and he has a 04 f150 with the 3v and he says he runs 10w40 and his noise pretty much went away but other people say dont do it.
Dealers will say a lot to make an extra buck. I've seen many different oil usage from peeps here, but if you're not too sure, I'd stick with 5w20 or 5w30.
Storm Chasing Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
disturbed3003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 921
Thanked 67 Times in 58 Posts
Default

I would stick with the 5w-20. It's a little price but I would install the livernois lockouts. This is the route I am planning to take next month. The lockouts and tuner you need are roughly $400. This way you don't have to worry about the sound coming back again and possible phaser issues down the road.
disturbed3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Especial86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,693
Thanked 336 Times in 290 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjr36 View Post
Ok i got a 04 f150 and i was wondering if there was a cheapier way to quiet the dieseling/ticking noise like adding thicker oil or what? I dont want to pay an arm and a leg so i was wondering if you all could help me thanks.
Try changing your VCT solenoids and running 5w-30 oil... Use the search tool and you will see there is lots of success with this method
Especial86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
J.Manning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Milan, PA
Posts: 39
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed3003 View Post
I would stick with the 5w-20. It's a little price but I would install the livernois lockouts. This is the route I am planning to take next month. The lockouts and tuner you need are roughly $400. This way you don't have to worry about the sound coming back again and possible phaser issues down the road.
I'm with disturbed. I did the livernois lockout on my truck and never have to worry about noisy phasers again!!
J.Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rough Idle/Misfiring - HELP! (2006 F150 5.4L v8) carp104 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 39 08-09-2016 07:32 PM
Starting issues dmummy Maintenance Shop 8 04-25-2016 11:41 AM
2010 F150 5.4L Cam Phaser yones12 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 11 11-01-2015 08:56 PM
4.6L Ticking at startup Craig4937 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 4 09-03-2015 10:29 AM
Starting issues dmummy Maintenance Shop 0 09-02-2015 12:27 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com