Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 F150 Cruise Control Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 F150 Cruise Control Stopped Working

I have a 2004 Ford F150. in the Fall, the engine failed (yup the 5.4L Triton). It took a few months for us to save the funds to get a new engine so the truck sat a bit. With help of my father, a former auto mechanic, we replaced the engine and all was well. That is until I finished the break in and wanted to engage the cruise. It won't turn on. I'm not sure the new engine is in any way related but wanted to share that info just in case. I've got no engine codes and confirmed every fuse is good. I can't find any good information online that really even points me in the right direction.

I know that it could be an issue with the switches. I'm nervous to to dig in there because of the airbag. I see 2 switches on the brake pedal that could be involved but an not sure which it might be.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 04-05-2016, 03:24 PM

2 other pieces of information.

I can't shift out of park without pressing the brake pedal. I assume this means that at least one of the switches on the brake is good.

I've seen some posts about an issue with the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder being a cause of this. As best I can tell, I have no such switch on the master cylinder.

Thanks,

Brad
Old 04-05-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

Check your brake and tail lights. I've heard that non-functioning cruise is usually a symptom or "warning" that a light bulb is out.
I'm only guessing and certainly wouldn't hurt to try before you go digging around in the electronics of the CC.
A fuse would be second after the bulb check
Danny
Old 04-05-2016, 03:26 PM

All of the bulbs are good. I already checked every fuse as I can't figure out what fuse it is.

Brad
Old 04-05-2016, 03:30 PM

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by breichert
2 other pieces of information.

I can't shift out of park without pressing the brake pedal. I assume this means that at least one of the switches on the brake is good.

I've seen some posts about an issue with the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder being a cause of this. As best I can tell, I have no such switch on the master cylinder.

Thanks,

Brad
I'm pretty sure that is a normal safety feature. My 2013 won't shift out of P either without depressing the brake pedal.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by dannytexas
I'm pretty sure that is a normal safety feature. My 2013 won't shift out of P either without depressing the brake pedal.
But if you could then maybe that would be an indication of an issue...
Old 04-05-2016, 03:46 PM

I pulled what I believe to be the cruise control deactivation switch Both depressed and not, it measures 0 ohms. Does that mean it's failed?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 04-05-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Are the CC buttons on the steering wheel? If so I would suspect the clock spring.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by PerryB
Are the CC buttons on the steering wheel? If so I would suspect the clock spring.
They are on the steering wheel.

What is a clock spring?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Similar to a muffler bearing. .... actually its a multi-conductor cable thats molded into a flat shape and then wound several turns so it resembles a clock spring. It connects between the column and the steering wheel. Back when all we had in the wheel was a horn button they just used a commutator ring and a "brush" contactor. Now there are so many circuits in the wheel that a commutator isn't a viable solution. After turning the wheel back and forth a zillion times over the course of many years, one or more of those conductors is bound to break. Not an uncommon issue in an older truck.

Last edited by PerryB; 04-05-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Cruise Control Stopped Working