Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 F150 5.4 Lariat Throwing Code P2198

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 F150 5.4 Lariat Throwing Code P2198

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am hoping to get some help from experienced Ford owners.

My truck has been really good to me until the other day. I pulled out of my driveway to head to work and within 5 seconds of driving it, it started violently shaking/shuddering (all coming from the front end). I came to a complete stop and the shaking continued. Turned the engine off, and back on again, and it was still shaking. At that point I parked it, worried that if I pushed it any further I'd do more damage. Called my husband (yes, I'm a girl that drives a pickup!) and told him the bad news. Knowing the 5.4 engines have issues (yep, we have the classic "tick" noise), I thought my engine was gone. But now I'm not so sure...

A friend of ours has a cheap scanner. He hooked it up to the truck and the code read P2198. After researching the code, sounds like it could be an O2 sensor. (or at least I hope!)

We are going to replace the sensor, as long as we can figure out which one it is...anyone have any idea how to know for sure which sensor the code is referencing? We're also going to do new spark plugs and coils, since the truck has 125,000 miles on it and hasn't had a tune up yet (remember, I'm a GIRL who drives a pickup...I never said I was great on maintenance...lol).

Another friend of ours who works on busses and heard it run thinks its a fuel issue. I'm pretty bad at driving it around with low fuel (ok, yeah, I do it all the time). In fact, it was on low fuel when the shaking started happening. Probably between empty and a 1/4 tank....with the needle being a little closer to the empty line. He mentioned we should change the fuel filters, put some fuel injection cleaner in it and premium fuel (along with the tune up. Said something about low fuel and moisture causing issues?

All I know is I hope and pray the it isn't the motor. I really like my truck, but can't stomach dropping $5-$7K into it right now. We put a new tranny in it two years ago and just paid it off in the beginning of the year.

Any input you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet2007
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am hoping to get some help from experienced Ford owners.

My truck has been really good to me until the other day. I pulled out of my driveway to head to work and within 5 seconds of driving it, it started violently shaking/shuddering (all coming from the front end). I came to a complete stop and the shaking continued. Turned the engine off, and back on again, and it was still shaking. At that point I parked it, worried that if I pushed it any further I'd do more damage. Called my husband (yes, I'm a girl that drives a pickup!) and told him the bad news. Knowing the 5.4 engines have issues (yep, we have the classic "tick" noise), I thought my engine was gone. But now I'm not so sure...

A friend of ours has a cheap scanner. He hooked it up to the truck and the code read P2198. After researching the code, sounds like it could be an O2 sensor. (or at least I hope!)

We are going to replace the sensor, as long as we can figure out which one it is...anyone have any idea how to know for sure which sensor the code is referencing? We're also going to do new spark plugs and coils, since the truck has 125,000 miles on it and hasn't had a tune up yet (remember, I'm a GIRL who drives a pickup...I never said I was great on maintenance...lol).

Another friend of ours who works on busses and heard it run thinks its a fuel issue. I'm pretty bad at driving it around with low fuel (ok, yeah, I do it all the time). In fact, it was on low fuel when the shaking started happening. Probably between empty and a 1/4 tank....with the needle being a little closer to the empty line. He mentioned we should change the fuel filters, put some fuel injection cleaner in it and premium fuel (along with the tune up. Said something about low fuel and moisture causing issues?

All I know is I hope and pray the it isn't the motor. I really like my truck, but can't stomach dropping $5-$7K into it right now. We put a new tranny in it two years ago and just paid it off in the beginning of the year.

Any input you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated!
The code is for the bank 2, sensor 1 O2 sensor. There are two O2 sensors for each side (bank) of the motor. Sensor one is the one closest to the motor. Replacing it may or may not stop the shaking. With 125k miles, it's time to play catch up with the maintenance though, and doing so should get the truck back up and running.

Drop your spare tire down, and you'll see something mounted on a cross member above it (it's half plastic, half metal with a wiring harness attached). That's your FPDM (fuel pump driver module). It's known to corrode and cause the shaking that you described, as well as causing the truck not to start and/or run poorly. If it were my truck, I would start with the FPDM first. Simply unbolt it, and if it's severely corroded, then replace it. If it falls apart in your hands, replace it. If there are holes in it, you get the idea.

Do replace the spark plugs and coil boots, don't worry about the coils themselves yet. They're expensive and might be fine. The plugs are well past their life expectancy though. Fair warning, the plugs are expensive to have done and are a major pain.

Go ahead and have your throttle body and mass airflow sensor cleaned. That needs to be done every so often. You may even get a little better gas mileage, which is always nice. Also replace the fuel filter.

Since that's the only code you have, I wouldn't worry about having to replace the motor yet. You can do most of this stuff yourself fairly easily. The plugs are just a major pain because of the design. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
The code is for the bank 2, sensor 1 O2 sensor. There are two O2 sensors for each side (bank) of the motor. Sensor one is the one closest to the motor. Replacing it may or may not stop the shaking. With 125k miles, it's time to play catch up with the maintenance though, and doing so should get the truck back up and running.

Drop your spare tire down, and you'll see something mounted on a cross member above it (it's half plastic, half metal with a wiring harness attached). That's your FPDM (fuel pump driver module). It's known to corrode and cause the shaking that you described, as well as causing the truck not to start and/or run poorly. If it were my truck, I would start with the FPDM first. Simply unbolt it, and if it's severely corroded, then replace it. If it falls apart in your hands, replace it. If there are holes in it, you get the idea.

Do replace the spark plugs and coil boots, don't worry about the coils themselves yet. They're expensive and might be fine. The plugs are well past their life expectancy though. Fair warning, the plugs are expensive to have done and are a major pain.

Go ahead and have your throttle body and mass airflow sensor cleaned. That needs to be done every so often. You may even get a little better gas mileage, which is always nice. Also replace the fuel filter.

Since that's the only code you have, I wouldn't worry about having to replace the motor yet. You can do most of this stuff yourself fairly easily. The plugs are just a major pain because of the design. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Thank you SO much! We will definitely check the FPDM. I forgot to mention that the check engine light is on. Is there anything additional we need to be concerned with considering the light is on? Or just move forward with the maintenance mentioned and checking the FPDM?

We've researched the issues with changing the spark plugs on this truck. I've read that some people use a spray or a brake cleaner to help loosen them, sometimes even letting the spray sit overnight. Any other suggestions? Really don't want to have to deal with them breaking!

Again, thanks!!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:35 AM

Concerning the plugs, pick your poison on how to tackle them in my opinion. Different people have have success and failures with different methods. Just make sure you have the Lisle extraction tool.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM

So after a bunch of frustration regarding the spark plugs (every single one broke! Thank God for the Lisle tool. But even that didn't work for the last one that was REALLY stuck. Needed help from another friend with an additional tool), we were able to change all 8 plugs and coils.

Started the truck after the new plugs/coils....annnnd still the same problem of it sputtering, shaking, etc. It didn't even have enough power to drive up on to the flat bed to bring to a friends garage).

It actually ended up being a vacuum leak. Friend fixed it and it ran perfectly since last night until........today.

I pulled up to my mailbox, put it in park, left it running while I stepped out to get the mail. Got back in, put my foot on the break, put it in drive then before I started moving, the engine turns completely off and the LOW OIL PRESSURE light came on. I put it in park, turned the key off, and started it back up. It started without an issue. Drove it about 100 yards to my driveway and turned it off again so that my husband can take a look when he gets home.

This is so frustrating. Anyone have an idea why the motor would just turn itself off? Could it have anything to do with the new plugs/coils that were just installed? I've had the truck since 38,000 miles (it now has 125K) and never experienced this. I'm nervous to drive it now, as I don't want to lose power steering if that happens again while I'm moving.

I read somewhere that the LOW OIL PRESSURE comes on when the motor shuts off like that, and that it doesn't necessarily mean it has anything to do with the pressure. Also read something about cleaning the throttle body? Hubby is driving it over to AutoZone to see if it's throwing any codes.

Again....any input you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 PM

You will get the low oil pressure message when the motor stalls, so don't worry about that unless it comes on when the motor is still running. Did you ever check your FPDM?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:05 PM

I think i had the same problem, I dont remember the code but i sent it to the dealer and it was (for me) 'ignition coil D circuit misfire' I changed the sparkplug and the ignition coil but it was still happening, My dads friend suggested another mechanic and i got it back the next day good as new. He said it was 2 wires that connected ignition coil D to the computer had rubbed together. not sure how to further explain it, but ask a mechanic who knows ford trucks. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 5.4 Lariat Throwing Code P2198