Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 Engine Identification Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Engine Identification Help

I don't know if this is posted in the right section but I figure if it isn't either someone will let me know or move it?

I have a 2004 Ford 5.4 engine sitting in my garage which I bought to install in a 99 Expedition and found out the hard way that wasn't going to happen.

When I pulled the engine out of a rolling chassis the only thing that was there was the frame, axles, tranny and transfer case. I was told that the only way to identify what truck this engine came out of is to have the trucks VIN #? Is this correct? There are some stickers on both valve covers with tons of numbers on them. Is there any way of finding out what truck including year and model it came out of by the numbers on the engine?

I'm stuck with a $1000 paper weight in the middle of my garage and my wifes tolerance is growing short!

TIA
Old 08-30-2010, 02:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you identify it as a '04 engine, you had to come up with that information somewhere. Was that just the word of the seller? Where was all the rest of the truck (cab with Vin #) ??? The sticker on the drivers side valve cover should have the build date on it, that should tell you what year it came out of. They did start building the '04 new body pretty early in the model year (maybe middle of '03 or a little before). Is it for sure a 5.4L 3V ? They did make the old body in '04 (called Heritage) but I don't know if they used the old 5.4 in it or only the 4.6. I know they didn't use the 3V. They even used the 5.4 3V in the Expedition in '03 because the changes that showed up in the new body F-150 in '04 showed in the Expedition a year earlier.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 AM

Here are the pictures of the stickers on the engine. If anyone can let me know what would be much appreciated. It looks from the build date to be 2004 but I really need to find out what it came out of. Someone told me that the 8th digit of the VIN would tell a lot but since I don't have that I thought there might be a back door of sorts?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It refers 2 different places to heavy duty application (or approved for use in heavy duty vehicles). It's late so I can't look right now but that sounds like it came out of something heavier than an F-150. Is the top picture an end picture of the valve cover? If so, that certainly isn't what the valve covers look like on my '04 5.4 3V. I'm wondering if they used the old 2V 5.4 yet in '04 in heavy duty applications (meaning NOT F-150's or Expeditions) because that's what the valve cover looks like (2V 5.4) You say YOU removed it from a rolling chassis. Certainly you could tell if it was a F-150 chassis or something heavier, even if it was only a rolling chassis. Was this vehicle wrecked or was it "acquired" by someone who maybe didn't have a title for it? What kind of wheels did it have on it? Conventional steering (on an '04 F-150 that would be rack & pinion steering) or a steering box like used for so many years?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM

I think you are right about it possibly being perhaps a F250 chassis. I don't recall the steering set up on it, it was raining the whole time I pulled this thing! Is there a way to track the numbers down off the engine to find out forsure?

Code7 thanks for all your help.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

There should be a VIN stamped somewhere on the block. Grab it and call Ford's customer service line.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

FWIW:

97-04H 4x4s had a torsion bar sprung IFS
04-08 4x4s have a coilover sprung IFS
There should be a readily apparent VCT solenoid on the front of each cover if the truck is a 3V.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:13 PM

Default where would the vin t be located on the engine

Originally Posted by thump
There should be a VIN stamped somewhere on the block. Grab it and call Ford's customer service line.
where would the vin stamp be located. I am trying to find on motor and not sure where to look

Quick Reply: 2004 Engine Identification Help