Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Electrical Problems

Alright so I've owned my 2004 XL 5.4 for about 1.5 years now and some issues have slowly been getting worse as I've owned it. The first being the light behind the odometer flickering on and off which started pretty much right after I bought the truck and now rarely if ever lights up anymore. Second was the oil gauge which quit working about a month after I bought the truck. Third this summer the parking break light would come on in the dash and now it comes on and off intermittently. The latest thing to happen was as I was driving home the other night as buzzing noise was coming from inside the dash/guage area and the dome light was flickering on and off.

So, any ideas as to how I should tackle this?
Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So, any ideas as to how I should tackle this?
Mr V- do a search using P0462 code. Read all the posts there. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it COULD be. Electrical problems can drive you nuts. I worked for a large Gov. Trans. agency and we got cars and trucks donated from 2 or 3 different manufacturers that were bought back from the owner because they COULDN'T fix the problems. Often they were electrical problems that didn't affect our use of them, but they could not be registered or run on the highway.
The instrument cluster is a large electronic board from one side to the other. Even the needles (all of them) are run simply from this board. Follow the directions that I give in those posts. I have had re-occurrence about 4 times but a simple open handed slap on the right top of the dash returns things to normal. When I get time I am going to pull the plugs back apart and faintly tweek each of the tiny pins to assure a good contact in each of the holes. That board controls an awful lot, as you can see from the posts. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 2004 Electrical Problems