Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 ABS module location.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 ABS module location.

I am finally going to start checking all the wires here to try and diagnose my ABS light problem. I want to make sure I have exercised all possibilities before I replace the module. So I want to check all wires, all connections, etc. etc. But I need to know exactly where the ABS ECU is located. Is it torwards the front drivers side of the truck. Mounted to an aluminum block with four small tubes coming out the bottom.
Thanks for the help

BTW, I replaced the battery today because last night it dipped down to 32 degrees F, and the truck didnt start. Pulled it into the shop after it had been running for awhile, and they shut the truck off, turned the lights on for less that 5 minutes and it wouldnt start.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Am I asking the wrong questions or doesnt anyone like me anymore?! lol. It seems like whenever I ask a question, I never get a response. OR, am i the only one with this abs module problem.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

im gonna go on a limb and say the only one with the problem, or most of us just dont know where the hell its at lol
Old 10-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
im gonna go on a limb and say the only one with the problem, or most of us just dont know where the hell its at lol
Good to know then. lol. Neither does anyone else. Ive searched online, and cant find anything about the ABS ECU for this POS. I had the techs take a look at it again, to see if there were any breaks in the wires, and they didnt find any.(I watched them throughout the day). Still coming up as internal fault. And I would like to pull it off(since its not working anyway), to get the P/N, to run to some scrap yards and see if I can find a used one for cheap.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

have you tried a haynes manual?? just curious theyve been gettin vauge in the later model trucks tho
Old 10-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Yeah, I have a haynes manual, and it says nothing about the ABS ECU/module
Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I'd suggest its time to step up to the "better" manuals. Get the Ford shop manuals. I scored a set (used) for my 2005 for under a 100 bucks; make sure you get volume I and II, plus the wiring schematics. They provide flowchart style diagnostic steps for troubleshooting, test points for wiring related problems, descriptions of special tools that are required for certain repairs, etc.

When I have time, I look this stuff up for folks, but I don't always have it (time). Since you voiced a minor complaint that folks here don't answer you request(s), I'd say it's time for you to get the books and come up with the answers yourself.

And yes, your description of the location for the ABS in your post is correct. A very common cause for the ABS light to come on is brake dust buildup on the wheel sensors. Remove one wheel at a time, and clean the sensor. Do this for all 4 wheels. Check also for any broken wires here, as they are the most likely to break due to road debris.

Best money spent on your truck if you want to be serious about this type of topics.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 10-01-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

It wasnt a complaint. But thanks bucko. The techs checked the sensors. Disconnected battery multiple times, and still came up as interal fault to the ECU. Im pretty sure thats what it is. I just need to find it so I can take it off, and get the P/N.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Ian_T_S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same ABS problem and im getting frustrated and about ready to take into the shop and let them fix it...the ABS issue happened after I left my lights on, killed the battery and on the jump start the ABS light came on and not I have no ABS...???
Old 10-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Holy hell this getting to be a pain. I submitted some info to junkyarddog.com and another junkyard search engine, and they all told me they need the part number. So i pull it off the module, and mine doesnt match. So when i went to work today I talked with parts and had them get the number. And thats not the same either. I have a bosch part number, and they gave me a motorcraft number. So I type in both numbers on google, and on motorcrafts website, and came up with nothing!!!! WTF is going on lol. Seems like every truck I get, its almost impossilbe to find replacement parts. Even used. Did they change stuff in mid 2004??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 ABS module location.