Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 5.4 Is She Blown? (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2004 5.4 Is She Blown? (Video)

Hey Everyone,

Hoping you can offer some assistance with our 2004 F-150 with 5.4 V8.

A few weeks ago the truck started acting up when giving it throttle or towing our small utility trailer the truck felt like it was missing.

We took the truck to a local shop and they ran some tests and found that there was an issue on Cylinder #2.

- they moved plug, coil and injector from #2 to another cylinder but the problem persisted. They said the engine was toast and we needed to replace.

We have a 3rd party warranty company (about 900km of coverage left!) and they didn't want to replace the engine so they sent us to Ford for a second opinion. The local Ford dealership quoted about $2000 to replace the plug, coil, injector, a fuel sensor on rear axle? and some other random stuff seemingly unrelated to the issue. All items the warranty company would not cover....

We replaced the plug, coil, injector and fuel sensor on our own, it did not fix the low power/missing issue!

Fast forward to this past weekend (warranty coverage over) and the Truck starts to shake a bit on the highway and then we lose all power and engine won't start. Towed home... I let the truck sit for a few days and now this is how she sounds...

I am guessing our best recourse is that the warranty company hopefully covers it as it happened and was documented during coverage period. If not, we're likely looking at replacing with a motor from a wrecker?

We are mechanically inclined enough to replace it if needs to be done.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You sure somebody didn't surprise you with a Diesel engine swap. Just kidding man. Do you know if they checked the valves at all? It kind of sounds to me, maybe you had a valve break or maybe it came unseated and is now Just getting battered around in there
Old 12-28-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Stop running it.

I would scope the cylinders start with #2 if you had a problem there. If there's debris in the cylinder, you'll need to pull the motor and replace or rebuild depending on the damage.

If you dropped a valve, you're likely hearing those parts being pulverized into the walls.

Pulling the valve cover will probably tell you the rest of the story once you scope it.

However, I don't see you how get out of this without pulling the motor.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dom07
Stop running it. I would scope the cylinders start with #2 if you had a problem there. If there's debris in the cylinder, you'll need to pull the motor and replace or rebuild depending on the damage. If you dropped a valve, you're likely hearing those parts being pulverized into the walls. Pulling the valve cover will probably tell you the rest of the story once you scope it. However, I don't see you how get out of this without pulling the motor.
I second that. Maybe you can get away without pulling the motor. Just depends on how much damaged was caused.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Pull the oil fill cap off while the engine is running. If there's extreme vaccum sucking the cap down, and the engine dies once the cap is off, you probably dropped a valve.. At which point yes the motors toast.

Sounds like rocker is pinging around under that valve cover.

Last edited by Especial86; 12-28-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

There is some serious valve train issues going on there. Startup sounds like lack of compression too. Good luck but I suspect you need a new motor. Get it compression tested and that will tell you pretty quick

Last edited by ColdinCanada; 12-29-2015 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4 Is She Blown? (Video)