Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 5.4, FX4 Ticking sound!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 5.4, FX4 Ticking sound!!!!!

New user. Admin, feel free to direct me to correct thread.

Just wanted to share, after hours of searching, talking to mechanics, ect...I have found the cause of my loud ticking sound. FYI...2004, 5.4L FX4, original owner, 86k, only dealer serviced / Motorcraft, ect... Approx 1,000 miles ago I developed a (typical) loud ticking from passenger side bank. Sound is present cold or hot, through all RPM. Everyone, including myself assumed exhaust leak. Ruled out cam phazers, COP, plugs, ect... Truck running smooth. Avg. 13-14 mpg. Decided to take to local dealership (2 hrs away). After listening, they assumed exhaust leak. Left truck with dealership, they ruled out exhaust, ect...
Discovered broken cam follower! Damage to cam, ect. Recommended to replace cam, head, you name it...approx $4,500!!!!! Truck is not worth much more. : (
Decided to replace with used follower, keep existing cam / head. With oil change, final cost = $380.00, see what happens. Mechanic & guys at dealership were super cool, they were great, even gave me a loaner! Hopefully this "cheap" fix will last another 10 years. Hope this helps some of you with similar problems, glad I finally checked it out.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 AM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by thedude_33
New user. Admin, feel free to direct me to correct thread. Just wanted to share, after hours of searching, talking to mechanics, ect...I have found the cause of my loud ticking sound. FYI...2004, 5.4L FX4, original owner, 86k, only dealer serviced / Motorcraft, ect... Approx 1,000 miles ago I developed a (typical) loud ticking from passenger side bank. Sound is present cold or hot, through all RPM. Everyone, including myself assumed exhaust leak. Ruled out cam phazers, COP, plugs, ect... Truck running smooth. Avg. 13-14 mpg. Decided to take to local dealership (2 hrs away). After listening, they assumed exhaust leak. Left truck with dealership, they ruled out exhaust, ect... Discovered broken cam follower! Damage to cam, ect. Recommended to replace cam, head, you name it...approx $4,500!!!!! Truck is not worth much more. : ( Decided to replace with used follower, keep existing cam / head. With oil change, final cost = $380.00, see what happens. Mechanic & guys at dealership were super cool, they were great, even gave me a loaner! Hopefully this "cheap" fix will last another 10 years. Hope this helps some of you with similar problems, glad I finally checked it out.
so is the ticking gone now? Running clean?
Old 04-04-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Solved.

To answer your question Johnny, yes ticking is gone, truck running smooth. Just drove home from dealership, over 100 miles @ 80-85mph, truck ran great. Everything sounded good pulling into my garage, even giving it some rev's. Hopefully things keep running smoothly for another 10 years. The repair came without a warranty since I chose to go the "cheap" route, and there is still existing damage to the cam. I will be doing oil analysis when I change the oil from now on to monitor metals and particulates. Thankfully I have a neighbor that will do the tests for me at no charge.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 2004 FX4 with 86k should be worth quite a bit more than $4500.......

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4, FX4 Ticking sound!!!!!