Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 5.4 3v Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 5.4 3v Problems

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some opinion on my truck. I've done a whole ton of reading on this truck and am starting to lean towards selling my ford. Currently my truck is at 135000 miles and keeps braking the top part of my spark plugs during medium to heavy load. I've replaced all spark plugs less then 5000 miles ago. #4 cylinder has done this 2 more times to me since then. These are the Motorcraft oem plugs. I just pulled the plugs today to check them and the left side are good. Made sure there properly torque as well. I test drove it and now it sounds like a plug from the right side is knocking during medium and heavy load. No power at all and rough idle. Sounds like the truck wants to stall on me. Not sure why this continues to happen but I'm getting pretty burnt out on this. Also the top part of the plug was never recovered from the #4 broken spark plug. Any thoughts why this keeps happening and why I have now power now. Also my fuel economy is garbage. Starting to really doubt the 5.4 3v engine now. Only 1 code continues to pop up and that's misfire on cylinder #4. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres a picture of the blown plug.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:45 AM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I have never heard of this happening before but I will say that I had a vehicle a few years ago that I replaced the fuel pump 5 times in a month, all bought from the same store. All were defective. I went to another store the last time it went out and they honored the warranty and never had another issue. The first had a bad lot number the second store, same part but it worked. Not a solution, just maybe a possibility. Good luck, hopefully someone can chime in on this and help you out.

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4 3v Problems