Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 3V 5.4. New Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2004 3V 5.4. New Engine?

I have a 2004 F150 Lariat 4x4 with the 3V 5.4L. Recently it began to make the famous tick and slap of the cam phasers going out. It progressively got worse over some time. I replace both VCT Solenoids to no avail. The truck then began to throw a P0022 code (Bank 2 Intake Cam Position Over-Retarded). I then replaced the both Cam Shaft Position Sensors which also did nothing. The truck then began to idle rough and should like it was missing under load at low RPM or at idle. I took it to a local mechanic whom my family has used over the years and he told me the truck would need a new engine because somewhere in the system the oil lines on the drivers side were clogged. He also told me that with some tests, he found the truck was back within the timing threshold at higher RPM (1000-1100+).

Recently the truck threw another code that was P0175 (I think was the number; which showed Bank 2 was too rich).

Somehow I do not believe this truck needs a new engine as it has been maintained regularly throughout its life and is only at 133,000 miles that are mostly highway.

I was looking to hopefully get some input from a technician or someone who has experienced this before. I was hoping to get away with a cam phaser/timing overhaul.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your motor is fine, of it's over retarded timing it's going to run like ****, and mpg will go down. It's probably cam phaser gone bad. It's really hard to tear up a 5.4 to be honest it's all the fancy crap they put on these motors that hinders them. I recently bought my 04 fx4 5.4 I'm starting to regret the 3v design. My supercharged 01 mustang gt 4.6 2v is much easier to work on and diagnose problems and doesn't have the stupid phasers ect
Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Have you changed your plugs, COPs, or timing chains yet? I have 210000 miles on my 04 with the cam phaser tick and I just learned to tune it out until I get the funds to replace the sprockets. I had a chain guide break and made the slapping noise. Replaced the chains, tensioners, ect and all is fine except for the cam.phaser sprocket issue.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by notastockdohc
I think your motor is fine, of it's over retarded timing it's going to run like ****, and mpg will go down. It's probably cam phaser gone bad. It's really hard to tear up a 5.4 to be honest it's all the fancy crap they put on these motors that hinders them. I recently bought my 04 fx4 5.4 I'm starting to regret the 3v design. My supercharged 01 mustang gt 4.6 2v is much easier to work on and diagnose problems and doesn't have the stupid phasers ect
The MPG has fallen off the face of the earth. It averages about 11 MPG all mostly highway cruising. I liked my 4.6 2V in my 1997 F150 but it just didn't have the guts the 5.4 does (or did before this.)

Originally Posted by alsatropine
Have you changed your plugs, COPs, or timing chains yet? I have 210000 miles on my 04 with the cam phaser tick and I just learned to tune it out until I get the funds to replace the sprockets. I had a chain guide break and made the slapping noise. Replaced the chains, tensioners, ect and all is fine except for the cam.phaser sprocket issue.
I have replaced all of the plugs and COPs. I have not replaced the chains, tensioners, or internals. I'm hoping I can have the shop do the $2500 timing overhaul and replace all of that and the oil pump. I was just hoping to confirm that the phasers and timing is the issue and not something else. Everything in my eyes points to the phasers and timing components.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

More than likely, the motor doesn't need to be replaced. The tensioners have a tendency to blow out their seals, which reduces oil pressure to the phasers and causes them to fail. Since the tensioners also work on oil pressure, when it drops, they don't keep the chains tight, which destroys the guides. The guide pieces can then block the oil pump pick up screen, which reduces flow to the phasers and causes them to fail. The reduction in oil pressure can also cause the lash adjusters to not circulate clean oil through,, and they become stuck, causing a similar noise to the phasers. The unknown is what, if any, damage has been done to the cam journals. Unfortunately, these cams ride directly on the head without bearings. So if oil pressure has been too low for too long, the journals can get marred to point where the cam will wander. The only way to know if this has happened is to take the valve cover off and look.
Now some good news. Most of the time, the cam's and journals are either fine, or good enough for another 100k miles. The phasers are a lot more picky with oil pressure than the cams. Odds are if you replace the timing components, you'll be fine for a long time. Most of these parts have been revised and updated, so they're more resilient. I would check the cam's and journals for excessive scoring, and make sure the lash adjusters aren't stuck.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:58 AM
Greenhorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CKing, Look into this website:

www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/Livernois-Motorsports-4.6%7B47%7D5.4L-Cam-Phaser-Noise-Repair-Kit.html

The guy who sells these frequents this forum. Very knowledgeable. I believe his name is Rick. It might seem a tad expensive but it's probably worth it in the long run. I'm probably going to throw these lockouts in mine just to be safe.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
More than likely, the motor doesn't need to be replaced. The tensioners have a tendency to blow out their seals, which reduces oil pressure to the phasers and causes them to fail. Since the tensioners also work on oil pressure, when it drops, they don't keep the chains tight, which destroys the guides. The guide pieces can then block the oil pump pick up screen, which reduces flow to the phasers and causes them to fail. The reduction in oil pressure can also cause the lash adjusters to not circulate clean oil through,, and they become stuck, causing a similar noise to the phasers. The unknown is what, if any, damage has been done to the cam journals. Unfortunately, these cams ride directly on the head without bearings. So if oil pressure has been too low for too long, the journals can get marred to point where the cam will wander. The only way to know if this has happened is to take the valve cover off and look.
Now some good news. Most of the time, the cam's and journals are either fine, or good enough for another 100k miles. The phasers are a lot more picky with oil pressure than the cams. Odds are if you replace the timing components, you'll be fine for a long time. Most of these parts have been revised and updated, so they're more resilient. I would check the cam's and journals for excessive scoring, and make sure the lash adjusters aren't stuck.
Thanks for the information. That makes me feel much better about doing the timing overhaul and it actually fixing the issue. When I take it in I will be sure to advise the mechanic to inspect the cam journals for damage. The mechanic I am taking it to specializes in working on these engines. Everyone in town sends people to him, so I'm sure he knows what he is doing.

Originally Posted by Regulator07
CKing, Look into this website:

www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/Livernois-Motorsports-4.6%7B47%7D5.4L-Cam-Phaser-Noise-Repair-Kit.html

The guy who sells these frequents this forum. Very knowledgeable. I believe his name is Rick. It might seem a tad expensive but it's probably worth it in the long run. I'm probably going to throw these lockouts in mine just to be safe.
I will certainly look into those. Any idea if they effect mileage or power in any significant way?
Old 12-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Greenhorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will certainly look into those. Any idea if they effect mileage or power in any significant way?
Like I said, I haven't used these so I can't speak on behalf of the product. If you search for Rick, I believe his username is "Livernois Motorsports" and PM him he'll give you a butt load of useful information. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more useful assistance. Good luck in solving your issue.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have the Mechanic check the oil pressure while the truck is warm, it should be at least 25Psi at idle also check the crank end play for excessive wear/movement. I just replaced the engine in my 05 Scab because I had 5Psi at idle and I was 40 thousands over on my Crank end play.

Sadly once the motor went in and I started driving it I ended up with P0420 and P0430, Now I guess I need to figure out if the cats went or the sensors died.

Quick Reply: 2004 3V 5.4. New Engine?