Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2.5" Leveling Kit install kicking my *****

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" Leveling Kit install kicking my *****

Alright, I have an 04 XLT 4x4, I jacked the front up, pulled the tire, unbolted the tie rod, unbolted the sway bar, unbolded the A-arm, and then unbolted the spring and shock from the top.........

NOTHING WOULD BREAK LOOSE ExCEPT THE TIE ROD.......I beat the living hell out of it, and I could not get the A-arm to come off of the knuckle for the life of me.

I spent 3 hours working on this......and ended up putting everything back together.

Any suggestions?

I used another members post with pics to help me thru this, but I just couldn't get anything to work.

Please help
Old 02-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Animal Hoarder

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Hit the knuckle where the upper ball joint goes in, it will come loose eventually. A little penetrating oil goes a long way.

They make a tool called a pickle-fork but I only use them when I am replacing ball joints because they tear the hell out of the boot.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 PM

I did hit it there, and I used a hell of a lot of penetrating oil......It just was not breaking loose.....

Is there anything else that I need to undo?

I did notice that on my sway bar knuckle, mine is a 90 degree....where as a lot of them I have seen are vertical.....I couldn't get the bolt/knuckle completely out of the sway bar because it was hitting the shaft.

But I was seriously hitting the crap out of it.....
Old 02-25-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a 6" lift on my 04 last week so I feel your pain. Leave the nut on but backed out and hit on the outside of where the shafts go through with a hammer. Like the other guy said they will drop or pop out eventually. after you get your new level on the struts you can use a small ratghet strap to sinch it up to fit. Allso be carefull not to overtighten the nut on the CV shaft cause it will snap!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Animal Hoarder

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

All I can say is get a bigger hammer. I tend to use a 3lbs sledge.

(By reading this post you awknoeldge that Suzukirider is not responsible for any damage results from such recommendations.)
Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 PM

Also you may want to use a pry bar to put some tension on the control arm forcing it away from the knuckle, then with the other hand hit the knuckle as said above with a hammer using QUICK and HARD hits.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 PM

Maybe a sledge would have worked (but I lost my sledge on a jobsite), I had a rubber mallet, a deadblow hammer, and a regular claw hammer.....none of which worked!

And I had a 3' prybar....I even took a couple of swings with that! :-)
Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just use a regular steel faced hammer. The knuckle is strong enough to withstand the force that you will use to knock the joint loose.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well there's your problem. You need a good 4lb sledge to get it good. And for the sway bar if I remember correctly its easier to unbolt the end link from the sway bar rather than the end link. But on the knuckle you definitly need the throw the little boy hammer and get a mans hammer.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I put my level kit on I used several types of hammers none worked but I always carry this "homemade" hammer we used to adjust things when I worked for the rail road it saved me again but I like the saying get a bigger hammer I guess what I'm saying time to invest in a new sledge

Quick Reply: 2.5" Leveling Kit install kicking my *****