Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

10 ply load range e tires.. How rough is your ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10 ply load range e tires.. How rough is your ride?

Curious to hear how rough of a ride you have and what psi you're running your tires at.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Roseand
Curious to hear how rough of a ride you have and what psi you're running your tires at.
I'm running 10ply toyo mt's it's if your goin from stock to 10plys you'll notice the difference you can feel all the bumps and cracks in the road. IMO it's not too rough for me I like them. As for psi I'm not sure what they should be at I have mine at 40psi but my friend is running 45psi
Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

i'm running the toyo m/t's as well. i run them at about 35 unloaded and air the rears up to 45 when hauling my trailer. i really can't feel the difference unloaded at 35psi from stock but loaded up and increasing the rears is awesome for towing.

i could be wrong on this but I believe load rating doesn't go by ply anymore... they can use less plys to get the same stiffness as the old 10 plys

edit: i can feel the lugs on the road at slow speeds but that has more to do with them being a m/t than being an e rated tire i think... on my wife's truck we have the e rated duratracs and they are very smooth and don't seem to be any change fro the stock tires ride wise
Old 05-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 542 Likes on 451 Posts

i think ppl on here over exaggerate on the "roughness" that they see when going to a 10ply. It really isnt bone-jarring rough. Adjust tire pressure and they should ride quite comfortably.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes they are a bit more rough, I really only notice it on huge pot holes which are bad with any tire. I run mine at 55 psi, every time I take it to ford though they air them up to 65 and I think that ruins the ride. I've run them between 45-65 psi and liked 55 the best
Old 05-06-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06screwlariat
Yes they are a bit more rough, I really only notice it on huge pot holes which are bad with any tire. I run mine at 55 psi, every time I take it to ford though they air them up to 65 and I think that ruins the ride. I've run them between 45-65 psi and liked 55 the best
55 psi? Wow.Discount set them at like 42 and they were pretty rough around 25-45 over normal bumps and cracks in the road, and at 75 mph you feel vibrations from cracks/bumps/tar spots you go over on the highway. Vibrations/bumps. I set them to around 35 PSI this morning and they feel almost like stock all the way up to 55+ mph, and they're not as bad on the highway anymore but going 75 mph, you definitely feel bumps and vibrations from the cracks/lines in the highway that are in about 5-10 foot intervals. They're not bad, just super noticeable on the highway. I'm running 295/70r18 terra grapplers.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

It has a lot to do with the tire. My trail grapplers ride pretty stiff, of course they are an M/T. My E-range terra grapplers are only slightly stiffer than the stocks, and those are A/T.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Roseand
55 psi? Wow.Discount set them at like 42 and they were pretty rough around 25-45 over normal bumps and cracks in the road, and at 75 mph you feel vibrations from cracks/bumps/tar spots you go over on the highway. Vibrations/bumps. I set them to around 35 PSI this morning and they feel almost like stock all the way up to 55+ mph, and they're not as bad on the highway anymore but going 75 mph, you definitely feel bumps and vibrations from the cracks/lines in the highway that are in about 5-10 foot intervals. They're not bad, just super noticeable on the highway. I'm running 295/70r18 terra grapplers.

When changing to a different load range, different tire size, etc., you have to experiment. You don't adjust the tire pressure to get the perfect ride, you adjust it to get proper wear & life. Do a chalk test; draw a good fat line across the entire tire (each one) and go out for a quick ride. See if the chalk is wearing evenly or not. If the wear is on the outsides, the tires are too soft. If the centers are wearing, the tires are too hard.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

I have the Terra Grappler's too and I find them quite rough. I definitely feel the bumps haha. I'm running around 50psi though (might be too much?)
Old 05-06-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by homer
I have the Terra Grappler's too and I find them quite rough. I definitely feel the bumps haha. I'm running around 50psi though (might be too much?)

rbrais's advice is dead on here... but just to be general, a larger and wider tire will require less air than stock to get good tread contact when comparing similar loads. there are also tables available for all these tires to recommend a pressure for the load (which is likely better than the chalk test)

I run my toyos at 35 unloaded because that is the minimum pressure toyo recommends for the tire and their chart shows that it surpasses my unloaded load requirements

Quick Reply: 10 ply load range e tires.. How rough is your ride?