Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

'08 Cruise Control Cuttng out

Old 02-22-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '08 Cruise Control Cuttng out

2008 F-150 xlt.........5.4

The cruise control cuts out once in a while. Then it won't allow me to set it again, sometimes for a long time. Sometimes I can set it and it'll last a few seconds or a few minutes.
I thought maybe it could be a problem with the brake switch, but doesn't seem like it at this point.

Anybody have any ideas what it could be? Is this a common thing?

Thanks!!!!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

I would say the brake switch also. Check your third brake light, if it's out, or going out, or has some corrosion, it causes issues with the cruise. Another possibility is the clock spring, but hopefully it's something easier than that.
Do you have any led bulbs installed in the taillights?
The following users liked this post:
strtbobber (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

For safe measure, you might want to replace the parking/brake light bulbs in the taillights. If you have a filiment that is loose, this can cause the brake light(s) to fail, and cause the cruise function to fail as well. The Cruise controller uses the brake light circuit to detect voltage in the ciircuit to allow engagement of the cruise. This is why it was asked if you recently installed LED bulbs that do not have load resisters.
strtbobber (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 10:12 AM

Thanks guys. What both of you are saying makes sense. I will check all tail light bulbs and third brake light bulb and probably replace them all, just for good measure.

I have no led bulbs installed. The truck is completely stock.

powerranger, what do mean by the clock spring?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

The wire in the steering wheel. It's a big coil, like a spring that allows for the steering wheel to turn without the wire twisting apart. It feeds the steering wheel controls, like cruise buttons and radio controls. It's probably not your issue, but i have seen them break and cause issues.
strtbobber (02-23-2015)
Old 03-05-2016, 02:38 PM

Default Any troubleshooting tips?

Originally Posted by powerranger262
The wire in the steering wheel. It's a big coil, like a spring that allows for the steering wheel to turn without the wire twisting apart. It feeds the steering wheel controls, like cruise buttons and radio controls. It's probably not your issue, but i have seen them break and cause issues.
Hey all, I've had the same issues with my 08 XLT. Now the cruise control doesn't work at all. I've checked the switch on the brake pedal and it rings out. I also changed the lamps in the third brake light array. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? Is there a redundant switch somewhere else? Any help would be appreciated, great forum btw!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '08 Cruise Control Cuttng out