Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

07 Ticking noise. Exhaust Mani, Phasers? *Made Video*

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:10 PM
BbR

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 07 Ticking noise. Exhaust Mani, Phasers? *Made Video*

Hey guys,

My f150 also has the ticking noise, but im not sure if its the phasers, exhaust mani, or something else entirely.

Heres the youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_MsaMr8XTI

It starts loud when the truck is warming up then quickly dies down. Its very very faint and idle, and it ticks very fast when accelerating on the street. And it only seems to be on the passenger side as well.

Input?

Last edited by BbR; 07-09-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your spark plugs and make sure they are torqued to 25ft lbs thats what mine was...
Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 AM
BbR

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rfinger
Check your spark plugs and make sure they are torqued to 25ft lbs thats what mine was...
Ill check them out tomorrow morning. I am leaning more towards plugs as well, because the tick is completely gone at idle once its warmed up. only shows up during acceleration.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sounds like the Exchaust Manifold.

Originally Posted by BbR
Hey guys,

My f150 also has the ticking noise, but im not sure if its the phasers, exhaust mani, or something else entirely.

Heres the youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_MsaMr8XTI

It starts loud when the truck is warming up then quickly dies down. Its very very faint and idle, and it ticks very fast when accelerating on the street. And it only seems to be on the passenger side as well.

Input?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:30 AM

I have the same problem with 2009 FX4. Having it repaired this week. Not sure what year your dealing with but Ford might cover it if your under 130KMs and under 8 years with the Emissions Control Systems Coverage...

Last edited by Ronbennett; 07-10-2014 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Added more Information
Old 07-11-2014, 03:05 PM

Let me know if you figure it out. I have the exact same thing in an 06. 122,000 km's. I am like you I am going to start with the plugs, as they probably need it soon anyways. If that doesn't do it a number of people have suggested it may be valve lash adjusters. That is where I am going if step one doesn't fix it. After that from the location of the sound all that could be left is exhaust manifold gasket leak or crack. I have already eliminated the phasers as the problem by unplugging the VCT solenoids when warm and going for a drive. Also do you hear that mettalic like tapping thru the exhaust, apparently this also indicates faulty valve lash adjusters. Good luck, and please keep me posted. I intend to do mine likely next weekend. Dan
Old 07-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Let me know if you figure it out. I have the exact same thing in an 06. 122,000 km's. I am like you I am going to start with the plugs, as they probably need it soon anyways. If that doesn't do it a number of people have suggested it may be valve lash adjusters. That is where I am going if step one doesn't fix it. After that from the location of the sound all that could be left is exhaust manifold gasket leak or crack. I have already eliminated the phasers as the problem by unplugging the VCT solenoids when warm and going for a drive. Also do you hear that mettalic like tapping thru the exhaust, apparently this also indicates faulty valve lash adjusters. Good luck, and please keep me posted. I intend to do mine likely next weekend. Dan

Oh I also forgot to mention, I cant hear the ticking in my exhaust, that is why i am going to plugs first!

Here is the link to my youtube video and sound it makes

Last edited by Dano1965; 07-11-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 07-12-2014, 11:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds (from reading, I didnt see the video) exactly like an exhaust leak on the passenger manifold.

Exhaust leak on the passenger side is very common on these motors.

EDIT: just watched the video, yep, thats exhaust leak from the passenger side exhaust manifold. Thats exactly how mine sounded. The temperature change as the motor heats up is what causes it to seem to come and go.

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 07-12-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default ticking

I have a 97, 4.6 triton, 234,000 miles and had a ticking at about 150,000 plus a random rough idle. The ticking got worse until 230,000 when my cat. converters failed; plugged, ???
New cats, no ticking, runs like new and the rough idling went away.
Don't know if this gives you any ideas but Cats have a finite life and can be the cause of all sorts of problems without giving any codes. I'm the voice of experience.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is your exhaust manifold gasket or either a broke manifold bolt or warped manifold but if it goes away after a few min its more than likely your gasket cue thats what mine was. because when it heats up it seals up the leak because the metal expands when it gets hot

Quick Reply: 07 Ticking noise. Exhaust Mani, Phasers? *Made Video*