Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

07 fx4 trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 07 fx4 trans problem

Hey guys having a little bit of a trans problem with my truck and was wondering if anyone has some insight. My truck has about 77k miles and the trans was rebuilt a little over a year ago by my local dealer while the truck was still under warranty. I started to notice what I thought was a shudder like when my spark plugs needed changed, so I bought new plugs (motorcraft this time) as well as new coils.
The problem persisted then I noticed when it shifted into O/d it felt like the trans wasn't hooking up and I would give it throttle it would downshift and work like it should until the O/d would kick in. I haven't been driving it waiting for some time to drop the pan and see what is going on.
I had to move it tonight back to the shop to work on it this weekend. I turned the O/d off for the drive and the same problem seems to happen now with the O/d off. Is it something I should just take to the shop or is it something an at home mechanic can tackle?
Old 04-12-2014, 03:42 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Let's start small. I had similar issues and SWORE it was the tranny. I replaced the fluid, which did nothing. Then one day I thought, you know, maybe... just maybe... it's the driveshaft. I took it to a local driveline shop, took the shaft off right there in the driveway and brought it in. They replaced my U-joints which were shot, gave me a new flange yoke (it had cracked), and balanced the whole thing for less than $100. Boom. All vibration GONE.

It's worth a shot, right?
Old 04-15-2014, 02:16 PM

Just heard back from a trusted trans shop. Needs another rebuild. This is the 2nd rebuild on the third trans with under 80,000 miles. I'm done with this truck.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

the local ford dealers here warranty most of their work for 2 years past the repair... i'd be calling the dealer that rebuilt it. are you running large tires without a re-gear? towing or hauling a lot? or romping on it all the time? just curious because that's a lot of rebuilds
Old 04-15-2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
the local ford dealers here warranty most of their work for 2 years past the repair... i'd be calling the dealer that rebuilt it. are you running large tires without a re-gear? towing or hauling a lot? or romping on it all the time? just curious because that's a lot of rebuilds
. I'm running 35's which is how I bought it from the dealer. Don't tow too often and only do minor off-roading with it as I've got a jeep for that. It sounds like ford may pay for the rebuild at this other shop as I've had a nightmare with repairs on this thing since I bought it. The trans guy doing it said he will have a printout and pics for ford to show how the rebuild was not done to spec.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksturgio
. I'm running 35's which is how I bought it from the dealer. Don't tow too often and only do minor off-roading with it as I've got a jeep for that. It sounds like ford may pay for the rebuild at this other shop as I've had a nightmare with repairs on this thing since I bought it. The trans guy doing it said he will have a printout and pics for ford to show how the rebuild was not done to spec.

That is awesome!... maybe this time, you'll get someone to do it right and be done with trans problems. some people swear that you can run 35's without re-gearing but to me it seem obvious you are putting more stress on the trans.

I was supposed to be re-gearing this week myself but the shop lost 3 employees blah blah blah and i'm not cool with them having my truck for over 2 weeks... guess I'll have to find another place.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 PM

Yep this shop is all local and seem pretty legit. He said he could do the monster rebuild kit but ford wouldn't cover it or let me pay the difference. I drive this thing like an old lady to I would think if the axels could handle the 35's the trans could to. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Eat, sleep, REGEAR, repeat :-)

Quick Reply: 07 fx4 trans problem