Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

07 5.4 blew up, crate engines? powersource engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 5.4 blew up, crate engines? powersource engines

Hey there eveyone, I'm sad to report that my 07 f150 Lariat dropped a valve this weekend and did a number on the engine. I've been checking online for different engines and one outfit I found called "powersource" offers a pretty interesting engine. They claim to line bore the heads and put cam bearings in, they also put a high volume oil pump in them, special pistons and a few other things. Shipped to my door $3,200 with a 3 year warranty it sounds like a good deal! www.psengines.com/54target.htm is the Web address for the description on the engine. Has anyone ever dealt with these guys or installed one of these engines? I really hate to go through all the work of putting in a new engine just to have trouble again. I found a few bad reviews on them but, I also figure people aren't going to take time out of their day to write a good review if everything works out. What's your thoughts everyone? Still owe money on the pickup and love the way it looks and drives so I wanna get it up and running ASAP! THANKS!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen that website before too, it sure sounds like a good engine!
The following users liked this post:
Dieterbilt (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 10:58 PM

I like what they've done with the engines, just hope their work stands up! Lol
Old 02-17-2016, 08:00 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Can't chime in on that particular company, but I did want to take the time to warn you about Spartan/ATK/Surefire (different brand depending on what retailer you deal with). My 04 5.4 dropped a valve, but luckily didn't touch the cylinder wall. Bought a reman head.

First one has the wrong cam shaft (no way to tell until I buttoned it all back up and ruined a brand new cam phaser). Second one has exhaust manifold studs broken off in it.

STAY FAR AWAY from ATK/SUREFIRE/SPARTAN!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

while going thru my cam phaser/timing fix, I looked into buying a reman. Then I priced out a crate motor straight from my Ford dealer. the Reman's were all around $3500-$3900. The Ford crate motor ended up being $4200. If I had to buy a motor it would have been the crate motor from Ford. 3 year unlimited mile warranty. And repairs would be covered nationwide at any Ford dealer.
Bryan T Barker (07-14-2019)
Old 02-17-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dieterbilt
Hey there eveyone, I'm sad to report that my 07 f150 Lariat dropped a valve this weekend and did a number on the engine. I've been checking online for different engines and one outfit I found called "powersource" offers a pretty interesting engine. They claim to line bore the heads and put cam bearings in, they also put a high volume oil pump in them, special pistons and a few other things. Shipped to my door $3,200 with a 3 year warranty it sounds like a good deal! www.psengines.com/54target.htm is the Web address for the description on the engine. Has anyone ever dealt with these guys or installed one of these engines? I really hate to go through all the work of putting in a new engine just to have trouble again. I found a few bad reviews on them but, I also figure people aren't going to take time out of their day to write a good review if everything works out. What's your thoughts everyone? Still owe money on the pickup and love the way it looks and drives so I wanna get it up and running ASAP! THANKS!
Keep us updated on it because I might be replacing my engine because it burns oil.
Dieterbilt (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 02:58 PM

Well here's an update. I checked with a few other outfits about 5.4's and one outfit called "colt" offers an engine with the same specs for the most part as the "powersource" engine. I asked the rep at colt it they build the engines themselves or get them from a 3rd party. The rep told me that they get them through AER Manufacturing. I called powersource and asked the rep where their engines come from and he said the OEM supplier for Ford..... I'm thinking it's more than likely AER too but I can't say for sure. They have damn near identical prices for their product and the same warranty. So now the question is has anyone dealt with AER Manufacturing? Thanks guys!
Old 02-18-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Especial86 on here has gone with AER and I think he was very satisfied. Ask him
Old 02-18-2016, 02:33 PM

Sweet, thanks bud I'll check that out!
Old 02-27-2016, 10:31 PM
massart

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey guys to OP, i ran into the same problem on my 04 5.4. This sure seems like one heck of a deal did you end up going with the powersource engine if so any feedback? Looking to find reman soon! thanks.