Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

07 4x4 Transmission Fluid Blow Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Rule #1--Cardio!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 07 4x4 Transmission Fluid Blow Out

I was driving along today on the interstate. Some j**k *ss in the left lane was cruzing at 40 mph in a 65 mph zone. I change lanes and give it some gas to pass him and get up to the rest of traffic blowing by us at 75 mph and all I see is white smoke coming out the back of my baby.

I pulled into a resturant parking lot and checked underneath. The rubber plug under the bell housing has blown out and all the tranny fluid was gone. I couldn't see where the leak was because everything was wet.

Good News-I still have 1 year and about 48,000 miles left on the warranty. What I need to know is what could be the problem so that the Ford dealership doesn't try to screw me on the repairs. Could any body help me out please?

Thanks in advance.

My truck is a 2007 F150 Super Crew, 5.4L, 4x4. Any other questions just ask. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly done know but please keep us updated into what you find out and how or why this happens I am Verry interested

Sent from my android atrix 4g using F150 Forum
Old 07-23-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 132 Likes on 79 Posts

Trans front pump seal
Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Rule #1--Cardio!!!

Default Thanks jhunt

My shade tree mechanic buddies told me this might be the problem, after they made fun of me for blowing up my tranny.

I'll keep you all posted when the shop gets the truck on Monday. Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Rule #1--Cardio!!!

Default Check out this link!

When jhunt suggested it was a front trans pump seal leak I googled that and came up with this article. I think this is exactly what happened and the article couldn't be written any better. I'll call the dealership on Monday and have this printed out when I drop off the truck.

http://www.gottransmissions.com/blog...ont-pump-leaks
Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Rule #1--Cardio!!!

Default Day 1-Troubleshooting

Update-Today the flatbed came to pick up my truck and take it to the local dealership. The Ford Customer Care people were great to talk to. I had to call the Roadside Assistance number to schedule the tow.

Once the truck made it to the shop I called the Service Manager to get a best guess on time. He said he was just putting it on the lift and to call back at the end of the day.

Fast forward to about 4 pm. The Manager said to properly diagnose the problem he would have to pull out the transmission and look inside the front. He thought it would either be a front pump seal or torque converter. Then he mentioned it "may or may not" be covered under my 72 mo./100,000 mile warranty. When I asked him what I was looking at time wise, he said it would be at least until tomorrow afternoon before he would know.

Does any body think this sounds like b*ll sh*t? I'm not sure and I don't want to **** off the service manager.

Please help me out. Is anybody out there a Ford service tech?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Sounds right as a former ford trans tech that's what I would have done.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Rule #1--Cardio!!!

Originally Posted by jhunt47
Sounds right as a former ford trans tech that's what I would have done.
Thanks for the help. I don't mean to sound untrusting, but you can't be too careful.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Rule #1--Cardio!!!

Default Day 2-Diagnosis

Ok, here's the deal. It appears the torque converter seal is what went bad and that's where the fluid was coming from. Also, the transfer case seal is bad and I am either getting transfer case fluid in the transmission or transmission fluid into the transfer case. Either way, that's getting fixed also. The larger of the two inspection covers is completely missing, and there was some dirt and debris up in the bell housing area.

All in all it was pretty messed up. The whole job will be covered under warranty, and if the parts get there by late morning tomorrow, I should have the ol' girl back by tomorrow night.

jhunt-does this sound right to you? Since you're my new expert I was hoping for your opinion. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 PM

Sounds good hope they get it taken care of.

Quick Reply: 07 4x4 Transmission Fluid Blow Out