Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

This 06 is testing my Ford loyalty

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default This 06 is testing my Ford loyalty

Stopped by my mechanic's shop earlier so he could look at my truck (06 screw 5.4). It suddenly got 'the tick' a week or so ago and has lost low end power. I've been trying to be optimistic that it might be an exhaust leak, or VCT problem, but he described my symptoms and guessed my mileage before I told him just by listening to the tick. Told him I would leave it with him on Monday and he said he would check oil pressure and go from there.
Fingers crossed over the weekend, but expecting the worst. Very disappointed in this truck. In 110K miles I've had more issues than I should considering what this truck cost new, and have diligently maintained oil, trans fluids, filters, etc. 2 pinion seals, fan clutch, 3 COPs, plugs, rattle in the dash, brake rotor, a crappy A/C that no one can make blow cold air, terrible fuel mileage, and now it's looking like phasers/head/valve work.
Loved my truck, but right now it's going on the market after it's repaired.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by skintback
Stopped by my mechanic's shop earlier so he could look at my truck (06 screw 5.4). It suddenly got 'the tick' a week or so ago and has lost low end power. I've been trying to be optimistic that it might be an exhaust leak, or VCT problem, but he described my symptoms and guessed my mileage before I told him just by listening to the tick. Told him I would leave it with him on Monday and he said he would check oil pressure and go from there. Fingers crossed over the weekend, but expecting the worst. Very disappointed in this truck. In 110K miles I've had more issues than I should considering what this truck cost new, and have diligently maintained oil, trans fluids, filters, etc. 2 pinion seals, fan clutch, 3 COPs, plugs, rattle in the dash, brake rotor, a crappy A/C that no one can make blow cold air, terrible fuel mileage, and now it's looking like phasers/head/valve work. Loved my truck, but right now it's going on the market after it's repaired.
If it's the cam Chains it's a common issue. Also for your ac. Check the wiring about 6 inches from the plug going into the drier. Mine is frayed and causes my ac not to work. I have to cut the plug and remove the bad spot and it will work fine. Check that if the ac compressor won't turn on
Old 04-01-2016, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by casey.mikl
If it's the cam Chains it's a common issue. Also for your ac. Check the wiring about 6 inches from the plug going into the drier. Mine is frayed and causes my ac not to work. I have to cut the plug and remove the bad spot and it will work fine. Check that if the ac compressor won't turn on
The compressor runs, but it's never blown cold air since new. I've had it checked 3-4 times and all said it was normal. Have searched the webs and asked numerous people, but some of these models are like this I guess. Electric fans seem to be a solution, but a $35K truck shouldn't require such IMO.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:10 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by skintback
The compressor runs, but it's never blown cold air since new. I've had it checked 3-4 times and all said it was normal. Have searched the webs and asked numerous people, but some of these models are like this I guess. Electric fans seem to be a solution, but a $35K truck shouldn't require such IMO.
Yeah mine wasn't working. But there was mud caked in the radiator. Cleaned it out and ac was even worse. Came down to the broken wire. It's touching and working have to cut it out and fix it
Old 04-01-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You aren't the only one man. My 08 has been full of problems the entire time I've owned it. I will be buying something else next time. Not going to knock all of ford, if they work for you then great, but I just can't afford another ford lol
Old 04-01-2016, 11:19 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Sometimes you get a dud and most of the time it's the previous owner's fault, not necessarily the carmaker.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:04 AM

I bought it brand new and serviced it regularly and never abused it.
I'm not done with Ford, but I'm done with the 04-08 generation. Don't want another 5.4 3 valve/VVT.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:14 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Sorry about your misfortune.
I have a 2004 4X4 SuperCab XLT with most available options.
I'm the second owner. No issues whatsoever.
Just a great vehicle that I enjoy everyday.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

As another 06 owner who bought new, was very diligent about doing all the maintenance myself, I'd be disappointed if mine started to fall apart. Fortunately mine is still running strong, but all makers produce a bad one every so often and it looks like you got one unfortunately. I'd probably be looking to replace too once you get it fixed back up. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
As another 06 owner who bought new, was very diligent about doing all the maintenance myself, I'd be disappointed if mine started to fall apart. Fortunately mine is still running strong, but all makers produce a bad one every so often and it looks like you got one unfortunately. I'd probably be looking to replace too once you get it fixed back up. Good luck.
I'm just ticked right now. If this happened at 210K miles, I would fix it and keep riding, but now I'm wondering what's gonna happen next. I really don't want to upgrade and take on a payment with a 15 year old daughter wanting a car in year.
I'm thinking of trying to find 02-03 supercab with relatively low miles, but that may be difficult to find at this point.
I could keep it and go with synthetic oil and motorcraft filter going forward and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: This 06 is testing my Ford loyalty