Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 06 Shudder

I have an 06' 4x4 sc that has about 36k on it. A few months ago I noticed when I'd back out of my driveway and pull away I would feel a light shudder. I only noticed it with the wheels turned.
When I purchased the truck, it had 21k on it and it is a certified pre-owned with the extended warranty. I had all of the fluids changed.
My local mech and I decided to change the rear end fluid and add an extra bottle of the friction modifier.
The problem has become worse and now will do it 90% of the time when making any type of turn from a stop, as well as sometimes straight away.
When we changed the tranny fluid, it was in good shape as well.

thoughts?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Change the Clutch Pack in the rear diff. and the tension spring.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Is there a TSB on this? Is this a known issue? I'm merely asking...as I have yet to get a firm diagnosis.
I've been hearing it could be in the transmission, as well as the rear end. I did do a search prior to posting and did not see any posts relevant to my issue, as it normally only happens from a dead stop or very slow vehicle speeds.

I appreciate the reply
Old 05-01-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

When a coil starts to go bad, you'll start to experience shudder that feels like it is being caused by the transmission or differential. The only thing that keeps me from thinking this is your problem is that you are only experiencing it when turning. If you notice the problem becoming more frequent especially when driving in a stright line, disengage overdrive and while doing 70 or 80 see if you notice a misfire and a blinking check engine light. If you do, its likely the coil and it will produce a CEL identifying the cylonder with the problem after it detects the misfire on three seperate warm up cycles. Hopefully this is your problem ($25 part), downside is it may take some time before you get the CEL.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:12 PM

It really does not feel like it's in the engine, and only does it while turning, or slight turns....but, you never know!

Quick Reply: 06 Shudder