Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 Screw 5.4 tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Screw 5.4 tranny problem

Hey guys, got a quick question but first...

I've been reading your forum for while, great info and help. You guys are awesome.

About 2 years ago I bought a used 06 Screw XLT 4x4.

Had a few issues with it (coil packs, plugs, complete brake overhaul) but other than that it's been a solid truck. It does have a LS rear end. Had 114k when I bought it, now at 156k.

Anyhow, on to my question. I had the coil pack shutter so I replaced them and new plugs (what the hell was ford thinking, worst design ever). Fixed the problem for awhile. Went on vacation with my fiance in gatlinburg, got a cabin with a really steep drive. Like, stupid, must have 4 wheel engaged or you ain't going up even in the dry (it is paved, just stupid steep, if I get a chance tomorrow I'll snap a pic)

Anyway, went out for an errand, came back shifted into 4 high, manually shifted the tranny into second gear and nothing...
No forward movement.

Shifted to first, nothing... shifted to drive and up we go.

Stopped, put it back in second, nothing. First, nothing. Drive, up we go.

Transmission shifts gears fine under light load, while towing and at WOT. (Tho I do need to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner as I have that stupid squeal at WOT up shifts).

Tranny switches to and from od just fine, reverse works perfect, engages 4 hi and lo perfect, hubs lock fine.

I do need to have the rear diff fluid and friction modifier changed (I usually do all my own work, but I'm gonna just take it to ford for this one cause I don't wanna do it)

Anyway, you guys got any ideas of what could be up.

Haven't tried it in 2wd yet, but It deffinately doesn't move in 2nd or 1st when manually shifted. Works fine in (D) tho.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:43 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a similar experience. I was towing my trailer pretty heavy, up a steep hill into a campground. I missed my left turn while going up the steep hill. I put it in neutral and coasted down about 15 feet, then put it in D. Nothing. My heart raced, so I figured come from a dead stop with a heavy load, I needed to go down. 2nd, nothing. 1st, nothing. Back to drive, and it slowly started pulling and i slowly was able to get going and get to where I needed to be. That rattled the crap out of my psyche.
After that experience, I regeared the rear end to account for my 35's. I haven't attempted a similar steep hill though, so I have no idea if that will happen again. I'm hoping for the best and will follow this thread to see if you or someone else sheds light.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I'm thinking maybe something went haywire for a bit.

I'm sure that trying to climb a steep steep steep grade (easily 50 plus degrees) in second from a dead stop kept the rpms so low that perhaps the torque converter couldn't lock up.

Maybe.

All I know is that I tried it today all through the mountains, up shifted and down shifted manually perfectly.

I don't know.

Quick Reply: 06 Screw 5.4 tranny problem