Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 Lariat Rattle in extended cab half door

Old 11-29-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 06 Lariat Rattle in extended cab half door

Hey guys, so this started a while ago and increasingly got worse, tonight on my way to work it was just bugging the **** out of me too much! I havent had much time to get a look in the door but wondering if anyone has had this problem and knows how to fix. My drivers side extended cab half door (not sure what it's really called) has a terrible rattling noise when I hit bumps, it sounds like 2 metal pipes knocking against eachother. I have somewhat peeled the door panel off and see a metal pole looking object hanging loose. The back window works good and the door opens good, just not sure what this peice does. Sorry for not having pictures or better description, I am at work right now and thought I'd ask to see if anyone has an idea.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Remove the whole door panel and see what it is. Might be a structural crash bar. Takes 2 minutes tops to yank the panel.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:11 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I had both of my rear doors apart a couple weeks ago. I'm going to guess it's the rod going from your opening handle down to the thingy that sticks out of the shut face. That thingy is what senses when the front door is closed and deactivates the opening handle. You have to pull off the trim panels, but then you can see how the rod is mounted. It's likely not clipped into place correctly. While your trim panels are off, it's a good idea to verify your latch cable ends are in good shape. Mine had deteriorated. I replaced them with some aluminum fittings I purchased off eBay. If they break, it can also create a rattle. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Rick, I am off work tomorrow so I will most likely be taking a deeper look into it, is there any special clip i need to reatatch this rod? thanks for the tip on the cable ends, I will inspect them as well, if they do need replacing what fittings did you buy on ebay to cure this issue? just in case i need to swap them out.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This may be a complete shot in the dark, but it worked for me.

The door rattling seems to be a pretty common issues as these trucks get a little age on them. When I got mine a few months back it had plenty of raddle on the half-door. My F-150 is an '07 FX2. I resolved my rattle by taking some silicone spray and hitting the latches that hold the door closed along with any other parts where metal rubs against metal in someway.

Somehow, that resolved it. My half-door doesn't make a peep now whenever I hit a bump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 Lariat Rattle in extended cab half door