Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 issue with rpm's dropping and shuttering

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 issue with rpm's dropping and shuttering

hi all....first off i have an 06 f150 lariat with 89000 miles and had it from day one. the truck just started giving me trouble when going at slow speeds (30 -40) mph and low rpms, while going up a hill and i maintain that speed without truck shifting down a gear and rpms actually drop, i feel a shutter or miss in the rear but not sure if it is rear issue, tranny issue or motor. shifting is fine in all other gears and rear is fine. if i shut off overdrive around town it keeps rpms higher and it doesnt do it as often.....im gonna start with new plugs and fuel filter, but i dont think its gonna fix this...any advice would be great
Old 10-19-2009, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by goldbergrx1
hi all....first off i have an 06 f150 lariat with 89000 miles and had it from day one. the truck just started giving me trouble when going at slow speeds (30 -40) mph and low rpms, while going up a hill and i maintain that speed without truck shifting down a gear and rpms actually drop, i feel a shutter or miss in the rear but not sure if it is rear issue, tranny issue or motor. shifting is fine in all other gears and rear is fine. if i shut off overdrive around town it keeps rpms higher and it doesnt do it as often.....im gonna start with new plugs and fuel filter, but i dont think its gonna fix this...any advice would be great
mine does this with the programmer, had it 16,000 miles, didnt do this before the edge. i find it usually does this when in 4th and around 1000rpm, if it drops below and i accelerate a little i feel a shudder so i ease off and give it some punch, seems to fix it. i can feel it in the gas pedal, the shudder and also the truck is hesitant to want to go, feels like the tranny wants to fall out or something
Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by AusFx4
mine does this with the programmer, had it 16,000 miles, didnt do this before the edge. i find it usually does this when in 4th and around 1000rpm, if it drops below and i accelerate a little i feel a shudder so i ease off and give it some punch, seems to fix it. i can feel it in the gas pedal, the shudder and also the truck is hesitant to want to go, feels like the tranny wants to fall out or something
thats exactly what i have to do....i double touch the gas pedal and jumps rpm right up....now if someone could tell us what to do it would be great
Old 10-19-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing happens with my truck...

Does it happen more when its colder outside? or more when the car is just warming up? but occasionally does it when its warm?

Check the injectors... getting mine replaced as soon as i get the money... i can almost guarantee thats the problem with it... because i have to put the gas down a little more than needed to not get that effect.

Also, does your exhaust smell like the truck is running a little rich?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by jazar10
same thing happens with my truck...

Does it happen more when its colder outside? or more when the car is just warming up? but occasionally does it when its warm?

Check the injectors... getting mine replaced as soon as i get the money... i can almost guarantee thats the problem with it... because i have to put the gas down a little more than needed to not get that effect.

Also, does your exhaust smell like the truck is running a little rich?
funny, im thinkin its a fuel related problem also.....it happens more when the truck is warmed up.....i tried puttin some fuel injector cleaner in the gas but that hasnt seemed to work....and yes the truck does smell rich when i first start it up
Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 PM

well if you search around the forum, you will see that the 05 5.4L has an extended warranty on injectors until 110,000 miles... and if you look up in the parts store for the 05 and 06 injectors for the 5.4, they are the same part number... but there is no extended warranty on the 06 for faulty injectors... so injector cleaner will clean it, but wont necessarily stop the injector from sticking open
Old 10-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To the OP. May want to check if this TSB has been performed. I had a similar experience, with a minor shudder, nothing major, but this cured my problem. Just a thought.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...hp?tsb=06-19-3
Old 10-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For those with an 04-07 F150, and getting a shudder, may check to ensure these TSBs were completed on your truck before replacing injectors and other items.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...hp?tsb=05-13-1

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...p?tsb=06-19-16
Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by MHC-F150
For those with an 04-07 F150, and getting a shudder, may check to ensure these TSBs were completed on your truck before replacing injectors and other items.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...hp?tsb=05-13-1

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...p?tsb=06-19-16
good to know... but mine usually happens shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and low to moderate accelerations... those TSBs were from 4-3 downshift and moderate to hard accelerations... tho mine might need the 06-19-3 because that happens occasionally... how much do these run if they were never completed on my truck?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:17 PM

hm... guys take a look at those sites MHC-F150 gave us... then look for bulletin Numbers #:
08-5-13

Going to the mechanic to ask about these... if they cant help out, im going to go to the dealership to see if they can fix them and how much they will be

Quick Reply: 06 issue with rpm's dropping and shuttering