Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 FX4 W/Timing Chain Tensioner Issues and Phaser knock

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 FX4 W/Timing Chain Tensioner Issues and Phaser knock

Hey guys. I've got an 06 Fx4 and have had some problems developing since about 30k. Took it into the dealership back then and was told all the noises were normal, and I wasn't smart enough to document it. I've been trying to self diagnose the issues as they just keep getting worse and worse, so I'm going to describe what I'm hearing and hopefully you guys can verify for me.

A little bit about normal maintenance and the truck. Bought it w/14000 miles on it not making a noise. Have been religious about oil changes every 3000 miles. A few times I haven't had time and have got it changed at Quick Lube places, but only allowed the use of Pennzoil 5w20. This last oil change I went w/a Fram and Castrol GTX 5w20 high mileage with some sea foam, hoping that what I was hearing was sludge build up issues and that the sea foam would help clean it out. Noises have just gotten worse. Truck now has only 53k on it...and I'm extremely discouraged.

1st problem: Knock on the front of both banks under the valve covers at 7-900 RPM's (sometimes a little higher like 1200 RPM's). I believe this is cam phasers starting to go bad. I heard it when just above idle in drive throughs and parking lots.

2nd problem: I have a noise that I've diagnosed as cam chain slap on the right bank. Do these 5.4 3v's have tensioner issues a lot? I can hear something popping a lot, which has just gotten worse as the noise continues to get worse. It pops all the time. This popping definitely sounds like it's coming from the tensioner area, and the rattle noise that I believe is chain slap sometimes goes away after this pop. The pop sounds like something seized up finally getting enough force on it and releasing violently. The rattle is mainly under loads, either hard acceleration or lower RPM "lugging" of the motor. I know there's an orifice for the oil in the electronic control module for the phasers that sends oil to the tensioner, so I don't know if I just have blockage or if the tensioner is bad.

I need some opinions here. I've taken it to 2 Ford dealers, both of which said they weren't sure what the noise was and that it'd be at least $1500 to get the front cover off and check everything out. I took it to a local mechanic, who couldn't get the problem to repeat, but it just keeps getting worse so I'm thinking I'll take it back to him. He quoted me 10 hours of labor to get the cover off, and at least $1100 said and done minus parts. I don't know what to do hear. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:36 PM

Bump: An update. After running the Castrol High mileage w/Sea Foam bout 600-700 miles, I decided I'd switch back to a Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft 5/20 this evening. Well, still sounds the same, so I'm going to keep running it...for now. Any ideas guys? Still popping just as much w/the sound of chain slap (tensioners). I'm now 100% sure that the first issue is phasers though as it's only from 700-950ish RPM's and only when hot. Sounds like a freaking diesel. Any ideas on anything that the other issue could be other than tensioners? I haven't been able to find a definite answer bout what lash adjusters sound like going out or under what throttle and temp conditions you hear them.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:52 AM
PURAVIDA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are alot of threads about the phaser issue. Check the stickys at the top. From what you describe (sounds like a diesel) the cam phasers are shot. Theories behind the problem include aftermarket oil filters, like Fram. These are NOT a step up from Motorcraft. I asked my local dealer how to prevent the dreaded cam phaser issue, they suggested oil change ever 3,000 miles. NOT the Ford suggested 5,000. They suggested to always use Motorcraft filter and 5w20 oil. If the problem does comes up, new phasers (I believe new tensioner and chain are part of the process) rarely fix the problem and they suggest to just continue driving the truck the way it is. Once that gets bad enough, it takes new heads or cams to fix it but they cost about the same as a new engine, so time for a new engine. I always take my truck to the dealer for the oil change. The price is even the same as the Quick Lube places. I think your two issues are actually the same issue.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 AM

i had the same chan noise, no dealer could say what it was, then the truck started running rough and the noise got worse, and like u it was only under acceleration, i finally found the problem it was misfiring on one cylinder so the computer was trying to compensate and just made thing worse, fixed the misfire and nomore chain slap, btw i wasnt getting anycodes on the computer until i got mad, one day it started slapping and instead of letting off i floored it figured thats enough it was painfull to listen to but i finally got cyl 3 misfire! as for the diesel sound that ur phasers and i have no miracle cures there!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:43 AM

Hey,
My 05 f-150 Lariat did the same thing, sounded like a diesel took it back to the dealer said that was (normal) for the 5.4. What a load of crap! I took it to a local mechanic, he said the cam phasers where shot and the cam chain guides had broken in pieces cost me $3000 to fix. It's so quiet running now it's unbelievable, it's like having a brand new truck!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I knew for sure that the diesel sound was phasers. It actually is still an intermittent problem and not occurring at idle (only 900ish RPMs) at the moment, so that's not as much of a concern. I am wondering if indeed I have a mis-fire that's causing the chain slap on the right bank, b/c that's the side that I'm hearing it on. It's actually sounded at times like I might have a mis-fire, but I've been so concerned w/the chain slap noise that I haven't considered that to be the main problem. It's gotten to where I hear it all the time, and I've started just punching the gas and neglecting it...which probably isn't the right thing to do. How do I go about checking my cylinders for mis-fire. I don't have a data logger or anything to read error codes and have yet to see the service engine light come on. Should I just take it to a Ford dealer and have them check for error codes?
Old 09-26-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by stp77
i had the same chan noise, no dealer could say what it was, then the truck started running rough and the noise got worse, and like u it was only under acceleration, i finally found the problem it was misfiring on one cylinder so the computer was trying to compensate and just made thing worse, fixed the misfire and nomore chain slap, btw i wasnt getting anycodes on the computer until i got mad, one day it started slapping and instead of letting off i floored it figured thats enough it was painfull to listen to but i finally got cyl 3 misfire! as for the diesel sound that ur phasers and i have no miracle cures there!
What did you have to do to fix the mis-fire? Replace the dreaded 2 piece plug and put on a new coil and wire?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:20 PM

my misfire was a bad injector,but check ur cop first there not the hot and tend to go quite often,if ur truck is 03 or newer the plug thing isnt as scary as u hear the 8 tthreads instead of something like 3 in the previous years! and if ur light isnt on dont bother with the dealer the ford computer wont register the misfire unless it last longer than 10 seconds and trust me 10 sec is a long time, i had to floor it and hold the gas so it would register,and another thing is maker sure u have the right oil because the hole engine use oil pressure to adjust everything, i sugest u pull the cop and swap it for a new one then do the plugs then the injectors not as hard as onr wounld think i changed mine in(one of them) in about 15 minutes
Old 09-26-2010, 06:27 PM

This is starting to become queit common on these trucks, mainly the 04-05. I had mine fixed earlier part of the year. Both my cam phasers and tensioners, guides, as well as the chain had to be replaced. While I was at it, had my plugs changed too. Total cost $2700

The dearler I take it too, said this was starting to become a problem on these trucks. Very important to use the right oil and filter. Thats what he blamed half of the problems with. I myself, have always used 5w20, but sinse my truck was bought used, I have no idea of what was used before me. But anyways, truck runs like a new one now, super quiet!!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by stp77
my misfire was a bad injector,but check ur cop first there not the hot and tend to go quite often,if ur truck is 03 or newer the plug thing isnt as scary as u hear the 8 tthreads instead of something like 3 in the previous years! and if ur light isnt on dont bother with the dealer the ford computer wont register the misfire unless it last longer than 10 seconds and trust me 10 sec is a long time, i had to floor it and hold the gas so it would register,and another thing is maker sure u have the right oil because the hole engine use oil pressure to adjust everything, i sugest u pull the cop and swap it for a new one then do the plugs then the injectors not as hard as onr wounld think i changed mine in(one of them) in about 15 minutes
This thing has 50k miles on it...an 06. I shouldn't be having these kind of issues. I've been a die hard Ford guy my whole life...first car was a 65 Mustang, but after these issues I don't think I'll ever be buying a Ford again. Plug replacements costing up to over $1000!? 15 hours of labor to get the front cover off!? Having to do 5-10 hours of labor just to get the right valve cover off!? It's just pathetic. I have always used 5w20 and have been religious about 3k changes, so there's no way that Ford can put that on neglect of the owner. It's a horrible design that obviously is a common problem. If I had time, I'd do the work myself and get rid of this thing...but since I don't I'm going to end up having to put $3000 into this motor and won't want to get rid of it after the investment.

If my coils or plugs are out...that's just pathetic. So what's the best way to check this problem out myself? My buddy actually has a data logger that he just told me that I can borrow...so what do I need to look for? Cylinder power balance? Cylinder mis-fire?

Quick Reply: 06 FX4 W/Timing Chain Tensioner Issues and Phaser knock