Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

'06 F150 fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '06 F150 fuel leak

Just want everyone's opinion on this. I have a '06 F150 with 5.4 (owned it from new in 11/06). Of course it is exactly 1 1/2 months off the basic warranty with only 28K miles on it)

A week ago it sprung a big fuel leak just above the tank. I loosened the tank straps and dropped the tank a little to try to get a look at it, but it's hard to see anything without dropping the whole tank (which of course happens to be almost full). Last week I drove the spewing truck in 15 degree weather to the dealer with a friend following me and a fire extinguisher in hand (just in case). Dealer said it needs a new fuel line at a cost of $600 installed! Jeez, 20 years ago I would run to NAPA and buy 5 feet of fuel line for $5 and fix the line in 10 minutes if this happened - the dealer has already had my truck for 5 days, ordered the wrong part originally and now reordered it. It's like a space shuttle launch getting a fuel line fixed.

The price seems crazy to me and the whole thing is pretty damn annoying on a 3 year old truck. Truck has never been damaged, never took a shot anywhere, has not been off-roaded. Is this a common problem? Should I pursue something with Ford directly? I asked dealer if there is an extended warranty on emissions control or evaporative fuel emissions control specifically (I told them I think there is a problem with evaporative fuel emissions control LOL). Dealer said there is no coverage, period.

Pete
Old 01-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

This is the reason I have learned to work on my vehicles.

The price seems high but that is capitalism. Everyone is free to charge what they feel their labor is worth.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Oh that's how capitalism works? Actually the labor if you figure 3 hours at $100/hr. is probably close to fair. Dropping the tank completely is not fun, I think 2 hours is more like it. But $200+ for the fuel line part alone? Painful

My question was more whether this should be Ford's problem instead of mine at 3 years 1 month and 28K miles. I could understand if it happened on a 10 year old truck with 100K miles.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't there a recall on some f-150's for fuel leaks? Go here, enter your VIN, click the 'service' tab, and click 'recall notices'. It should list any recalls for your truck:
https://www.flmowner.com/servlet/Con...OwnerGuidePage

If this doesn't help I'm sure you can find something on Google that lists all recalls, but I remember there being an issue with fuel lines on some models and years.
If there IS a recall and your dealer didn't make you aware, then I'd know what to do with the remaining fuel in that tank.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. There was a recall, but not for fuel system. All I could find is recalls for 2004 F150s that had problems with fuel tanks separating at the seam and leaking. This appears to be a failure of this line with an octopus like connector at the top of the tank. I always thought that emissions control equipment was covered beyond the basic 3/36K coverage and that I could argue this was a failure of the fuel evaporative emission control system since really everything from the filler through the tank and into the engine is a part of that system, but looking carefully at the warranty the only things covered longer are:
8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic converter,
powertrain control module, onboard emissions diagnostic
device, natural gas vehicle (NGV) module (Bi-fuel/CNG), electronic
emission control unit, and transmission control module

Just my bad luck. Truck has been pretty flawless for three years and I love it, just didn't expect something like this so soon.

Quick Reply: '06 F150 fuel leak