Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 F150 airbag 33 fault code

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 F150 airbag 33 fault code

While cleaning my truck I pulled the wires out of the driver side seatbelt actuator assembly. Two wires green/black stripe, and green/red stripe. The plug was broken so I went to the junk yard got a replacement and am going to wire it in so it is mounted correctly. Everything I have read about the 33 code says passenger side airbag. I read to disconnect the neg terminal for 2 minutes before anything. 2 questions. #1 Is the connector on the driver side related to the 33 code or is there a different problem? #2 how do I read the fault and reset the light? Any assistance will be a big help. Thank you.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The airbag light and stored code will clear automatically when the fault is fixed. They are different from an ODD II fault where you use a device to clear the code, or remove the battery cable to clear.

Everytime you turn the key to "on", the system does an airbag diag, and if any of the elements fail, a code is set and indicated by counting the flashes (followed by a pause for the second code if required). Here are the codes for the airbag:

12=Low Battery Voltage
13=Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground
14=Primary Crash Sensor Circuit Shorted to Ground
21=Safing Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
22=Safing Sensor Output Shorted to Battery Voltage
23=Safing Sensor Circuit Input Feed/Return Circuit Open
24=Safing Sensor Output Feed/Return Circuit Open
32=Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open
33=Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open
34=Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
35=Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
41=RH Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open
42=LH Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open
44=RH Primary Crash Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
45=LH Primary Crash Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
51=Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal FuseFuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground
52=Backup Power SupplyVoltage Boost Fault
53=Primary Crash Sensor Circuits Resistance to Ground or Air Bag Diagnostic Fault

1st question answer: No, the drivers side would not be related or involved in a code 33. Check to make sure the airbag light is connected (right above the radio in the center of the dash. If you recently removed the center radio bezal and forgot to plug in this lights harness, this can set a code 33 or 35. If the bulb is burned out, that too can set the code(s). Sit in the passenger seat with the seat belt unplugged to get this light to light up while turning the key to "on".
Can also be the passenger side seat belt assembly (the part that the belt plugs into. These devices contain a gas cartrage that explodes and "cinces" the belt tighter when a front colission is detected.

2nd question answer: the code will clear automatically when you repair the fault. Just turn the key back to "on" after the repair for the system to run the airbag diag, which is run everytime you turn off, then on the ignition key.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 09-12-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 06 F150 airbag 33 fault code