Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 F150 5.4 bad compressor, can I by pass unit ?

Old 09-17-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 F150 5.4 bad compressor, can I by pass unit ?

Compressor went bad, can't afford to replace it right now and can't find a by pass pulley and no one seems to sure what the answer is . Can I go with a shorter non ac belt or do I need to replace tensioner as well ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

A lot of those bypass pulleys are crap in my opinion, if you do end up using one, try to keep an eye on it for a few days. A shop in NY put one on my old durango a couple years ago when my pulley locked up on the compressor. The next day, my belt jumped, then with a new belt, it jumped again the same day. Ended up trying a bunch of smaller belts till I got one that bypassed the pulley (no one had the belt that supposedly fit without the AC). I drove it like that for about a year though and never let me down. Good luck.
Tom
Old 09-19-2015, 08:39 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

Is the compressor bad or the clutch bearing. If the clutch bearing is good, just disconnrct the power wire to the clutch and you should be good to go.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkenprice1
Is the compressor bad or the clutch bearing. If the clutch bearing is good, just disconnrct the power wire to the clutch and you should be good to go.
Thanks for that info ! I'm just coming off major surgery and being a relay back.to the bro in law trying to help , this may save me . Will check tomorrow to see . Being that the serpentine belt snapped trying to.start the same engine , I think the clutch is shot but who knows ? Will be back.soon with an answer. Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 F150 5.4 bad compressor, can I by pass unit ?