Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 AC problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 AC problem

I am looking for some help in diagnosing what is going on with my AC without having to take it in just yet.

I will turn it on either Max AC or just a fan setting with the AC on and it will start/blow ice cold but then I will hear a groan seeming coming from under my dash and the AC light will turn off and it will stop blowing. Then it will kick back on and off but so far always resuming blowing cold air.

It doesn't have issues blowing cold air, just staying blowing/running. When it is blowing/working it is still ice cold.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:40 PM

sometimes with the "groan" in my dash there is a small clunking noise
Old 08-16-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

The clunking or clicking noise sounds like a blend door actuator going bad, I had mine replaced in my wife's expedition a few months ago. As far as it shutting off, I would check the fuse and associated wiring to see if it is getting hot and cutting off and when cold works again. Good luck, but you probably gotta start looking around under there.

Tom
Old 08-27-2015, 02:43 PM

thanks Tom I will look into all of that for sure!

do you know what it takes for replacing the actuator?
Old 08-27-2015, 05:05 PM
BbR

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chepp157
thanks Tom I will look into all of that for sure!

do you know what it takes for replacing the actuator?
Yup, I just did this repair a few months ago. Takes about an hour.

The dealer wanted $400 for parts and labour. After I found out the part was $50... I decided to tackle it myself.

1. Take off bezel around radio. Just use a flat head screw driver and gently pull the bezel back. You can feel where the clips hold the bezel into place.

2. Unscrew the screws that hold the radio in place.

3. gently pull the radio back exposing the cables, unplug them all and set radio aside.

4. You will see one end of the blend door actuator motor, but you can only access the left side.

5. Now you will need to remove the front passenger plastic panel that covers the air bag, and you will also remove the glove box. Don't worry, its only a few screws holding this all into place.

6. To remove the glove box by unscrewing the screws located all around the opening to the glove box, and same goes for the plastic air bag panel. Just feel around for them all and youll get it.

7. Now you have access to the other side of the blend door actuator motor.

8. I used my hand and fit a small wrench in between the metal skeleton that houses the air bag.

9. After unscrewing all the bolts that hold the motor into place, gently remove it slowly because you will have to unplug a cable that powers it.

10. after removal reinstall the new motor. Be mindful of how you removed the original motor so you know how to get it back in. There are little goves on the stem that sticks out of the blend door actuator motor, so it only goes in one way.

11. re-assemble the dash in reverse and feel the AC blow.

If any questions just ask.

Quick Reply: 06 AC problem