Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 Valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Valve covers

Hi everyone,im new here and there's alot of great info im reading,great site! I have an 05 xlt 5.4 and last night when I parked smoke was coming out from the passenger side under the hood and wheelwell along with an awful smell. I got my flashlight out and seen that the pass. side valve had the rubber gasket sticking out a little at on spot and seen the oil was dripping out onto the exhaust. My question is,is that a difficult job to do,I am somewaht mechanically inclined,it just looks hard to get the back bolts out. Do you think I could just loosen them and shove the gasket back in and retighten them or do i need to replace the gaskets? Thanks
Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 AM
RaidenFX4

Replace the gasket in my opinion. Once the gasket blows out like that it could be deformed or lose it's shape enough that it won't seal properly.

As far as changing it I can't help you there, as I'm a new 5.4 owner myself :-). Good luck with it!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The passenger side is much easier than the drivers side
Old 07-02-2011, 05:48 PM

Well so far so good! The gasket was pinched from factory and there was one tear.Need to wait till tomorrow had to order them. It wasnt too bad,just so everyone knows,alone with the obvious stuff to remove you also need to take the computer off and take the bolts off the bracket for the a/c compressor and lift it up just a little and move out of the way or the cover will not come off. Thanks everyone

Quick Reply: 05 Valve covers