Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 Shakes at 50MPH

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 Shakes at 50MPH

Guys,

A few weeks ago after being out of town for a week I took the truck out for a drive, around 35/40mph the truck would shake... a lot... until I came to a full stop. I stopped driving it and took it to the mechanic, after being told that my outer tie rods were "about to pop out" I did the $300 fix and had an inspection done. The only other issue was that the shocks and struts were dead... So they cut me a "deal" and replaced those for $700. (After receiving my shocks and seeing that when I compressed them with one hand and it stayed compressed... they were bad). I was told the issue would continue until I replaced my tires because they had been destroyed by non aligned wheels.... Like clockwork the issue happened to the same exact level around 45mph. I went and put some new Nitto Terra Grapplers (285) on and the issue seemed to be fixed.

Well slowly I have been noticing a little rattle at times when accelerating but never at higher speeds, today I hung right around 51mph and the truck slowly.. but surely... started to shake. It wasn't as bad as before I sank $2400 in repairs but still. I'm taking back tomorrow to ask them what is going on because they guaranteed me a fix before I spend a total of $2400. Has anyone got any ideas??

From what I can tell it could be a multitude of things and my sisters boyfriend told me today that a bud of his had the same issue and that after spending hundreds in repairs it turned out to be a bolt in the steering box that needed a quarter turn to fix it.

I have an 05 ford f150 4x4 for any reference and here is another link to the history of the truck:

https://www.f150forum.com/f12/p0012-...3/#post3327327

Much appreciation guys,

Mathew
Old 06-29-2014, 12:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really interested in what people say as well. My truck had really bad shimmering too and I had the tie rods / shocks replaced, started shimmering again shortly after. About a month ago I got new tires and wheels, and the shimmering went away. However I just recently noticed right around 50-55 mph that I'm starting to shimmer again, and it's getting bad.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:43 PM

Alright so I'm pissed.

I've been taking it to a trusted automotive shop around here. I take it in and they check the calipers and the breaks, everything is fine. So from there they find that the outer tie rods were "about to pop out". They tell me to go ahead and change those for $300. They also find that my shocks and struts are leaking and should probably be replaced to prevent this issue from happening. $700 later on that I go ahead and I do it. I asked to see the shocks and struts and can I say... they were gone. I pushed the shock all the way down and it stayed compressed! He tells me I need new tires to completely fix the vibrations, so I do so. Lets place the price tag at $2200 so far.

Two weeks later I'm driving and it happens again. WHAT?! I was guaranteed a fix. I take it in and they offer to inspect again for free. I get a call a few hours later and told to come down so that they can show me the issue. I arrive and go under the truck. Now I don't know too much about cars to give me a break here. They took the drivetrain out and on the rear axle where it bolts on at the gear box he has me put my hand on the place where the drive train bolts on. I do so and he pushes up... you can feel a knocking in there. Supposidly there is supposed to be 15 pounds of force on the piston?... Anyway Its a $600 fix and I get it done. I get a call and they tell me that the Piston had been threaded wrong or something along those lines so it was way out of alignment and it is more than likely that it was causing my issue. They re threaded it for my truck and replaced all the bearings and seals.

They took it out on a test drive and nothing. I take it out the next day and the issue happens AGAIN. I was accelerating up to 50 mph and right at 35mph... while accelerating... the issue happens. It will continue to happen until I come to a complete stop and will actually slow down as I slow down. The thing is, it hasn't happened since then. I will say that the car gets a little rattle between 45-50mph every time but it hasn't gotten to the point at which I have to pull over the car to stop it.

HELP!! I'm taking it back in tomorrow and they have offered to work on it all day at no charge in order to "find" the issue. What should I tell them to check?

Here's a list that I've heard it can be:
Transmission
Transfer Case
Torque Converter
ABS Breaks
Calipers
Breaks themselves
Rotors
Front or Rear Axle
Old 07-05-2014, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this on my 04 Lariat, turned out the e-brake actuator was corroded and wouldn't release. Seems like once the brake got hot enough the truck would start shaking. Had the dealer clean it and been good since.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:41 PM

I second the e brake. My driver side sticks on. I went through the exact same thing, shop had no ideas. I checked this forum and determined it was the e brake. I got underneath and hammered both actuators closed (on the inside of the rear disc assembly where the e brake cable goes in) I then had no vibe. I put the e brake on and released it normally sure enough it would shake like it was going to explode. I would check that on yours. If the vibe is in the steering wheel though that is probably not the problem. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So the vibration is in the steering wheel correct? While in 2wd? I'm surprised they haven't look at the rack and pinion and maybe even your hub assembly on your steering knuckle.... Unless a tired rod is broken it usually doesnt cause a ton of vibration and sometimes tires do it... but I don't know man... I've had a rear axle/diff die on me and the symptoms were much diffrent then what your describing...

So the truck shakes in the steering wheel when accelerating to 45-50, does it continue to shake when you slow down or apply the foot brake?
Old 07-07-2014, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Regulator
So the vibration is in the steering wheel correct? While in 2wd? I'm surprised they haven't look at the rack and pinion and maybe even your hub assembly on your steering knuckle.... Unless a tired rod is broken it usually doesnt cause a ton of vibration and sometimes tires do it... but I don't know man... I've had a rear axle/diff die on me and the symptoms were much diffrent then what your describing...

So the truck shakes in the steering wheel when accelerating to 45-50, does it continue to shake when you slow down or apply the foot brake?

The replaces the rack and pinion in the rear end and redid it. I was feeling the shaking in my butt which meant it was in the rear of the car, but it would move to the steering wheel and the windshield wipers would shake. It wouldn't stop until I came to a complete stop... the shaking would be as if I was driving over bumps, or the breaks were seizing up because as I slowed down so did the frequency. They said it was horrible. I've yet to experience the shaking since then, everything they have done have made it better. Right after they did the rear end work it happened, but never happened again. I tried as hard as I could today for 50 miles and nothing, but it's sure to pop up again. The car still has a little shutter to it, but that's probably cause of that darn p0012 code. I don't think that it's fixed, so if you have an idea let me know for when it happens again.

For future reference, if anyone has this same issue. Start with the tie rods, move to the u joints, and have all the break lines and rotors inspected to rule them out. From there check your tires but don't replace them before you have the pinion in the rear axle checked. from there have your transfer case checked and driveline... then ask me what else haha.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 PM

Maybe it has to do with my p0012 code...?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Runner Dude 14
Maybe it has to do with my p0012 code...?
VCT soleniod is a very plausible reason on why you would have the shake at 50mph, its worth taking a look at.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Regulator
VCT soleniod is a very plausible reason on why you would have the shake at 50mph, its worth taking a look at.
A local mechanic said he'd open the engine up and test it with the computer and pinpoint exactly what needs to be replaced. I've already replaced both cam phaser sensors and the VCT Solenoid. What's a reasonable quote on time for replacing 1 phaser or timing chain/tensioner belt... or the entire timing system.

Quick Reply: 05 Shakes at 50MPH