Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 rear brake lines and hoses

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:22 AM
jtb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 05 rear brake lines and hoses

I'm concluding a big preventive maintenance job on my 05 Lariat, 141k miles. Upper and lower control arms, front struts, rear shocks, inner and outer tie rods, front calipers, rotors, pads, brake fluid flush, sway bar bushings and end links, all topped off with some new Michelins......she rides like new.

I also did the front brake hoses and the one in the middle rear. Then I got stuck on the left and right brake hose replacements NAPA sold me. Seems these are what everyone sells as a left or right rear brake hose attachment:

Of course I have this:

Everyone selling those hoses assumes you are going to make the hard line section up......out of this perhaps:

http://agscompany.com/product/domest...line-316-x-12/

and: http://agscompany.com/product/domest...line-316-x-40/

with one of these on the driver's side of the center block to adapt 7/16" to 3/8": http://agscompany.com/product/brass-...nverted-10bag/

Or, I could source new oem replacements. These appear to be correct, but the parts listings are vague and ......

http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/6l3z2268ml

http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/6l3z2267mr

Seems to be a multi-year, multi-vehicle part......Amazon says it fits my 05, though:

Amazon.com: Ford 6L3Z-2268-ML - TUBE ASY - BRAKE: Automotive Amazon.com: Ford 6L3Z-2268-ML - TUBE ASY - BRAKE: Automotive

Amazon.com: Ford 6L3Z-2267-MR - TUBE ASY - BRAKE: Automotive Amazon.com: Ford 6L3Z-2267-MR - TUBE ASY - BRAKE: Automotive

Interesting, no picture of the right side one.....

Two part question:

1) Put together my own, with NAPA's flexible hose, the Poly-Armour and an adapter fitting for the left side, or

2) Figure out which OEM part fits and go that route.

Thoughts....insights.....?
Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Why do you want to replace them? They rarely need replacing, unless they are corroded. From the picture, they appear to be fine.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Just for clarity, I'm referring to the hard lines.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:57 PM
jtb

We are thinking alike.....there's no reason to replace the hard lines. At ten years old and 141k, replacing the rubber hoses is more of a preventive move meant to see me through another 141k with no surprises. The front rubber hoses disconnect from the front hard lines allowing an easy replacement. Moving to the rear, the center hard line allows for an easy replacement of the rubber hose as well. The easiness stops there.

At first glance (to the uninitiated, as I was) it appears that hard lines branch left and right from the center block, and that these hoses are each connected to a rubber hose to the caliper. Problem is, that hard line to rubber hose connection is permanent - there's no separating them. So the left and right rear rubber brake hoses they sell you at the parts store are not meant to be a drop-in replacement unless that hard line has been replaced and is now ready to be screwed into the rubber brake hose fitting.

I'm wondering if anybody has had these lines replaced with OEM on a 04-08 and if the part numbers I had were close.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:44 PM
jtb

Default Part numbers identified

After a bit of hunting around on the web, I think I've found the OEM left and right rear brake hose/line assemblies for my 05 Lariat. According to one popular site, the parts are discontinued. According to another, they are not available and Ford techs are fabricating new metal lines to go along with the aftermarket rubber hoses....

The folks over at Marcotte Ford were very helpful and I've ordered the left and right assemblies from them. $113 for both assemblies shipped....not bad for OEM.

The part numbers are: 6L3Z2268ML (driver side) and 6L3Z2267MR (passenger side).

Of course, when you search those part numbers you get the compatibility lists that include my truck and many others, but searching by vehicle yielded conflicting results. I spoke to the parts man at Marcotte and based on my VIN, we should have a proper fit.

I'll update and confirm the fit when they arrive.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:46 PM
jtb

The parts came in today. So, here's what you get when you order the part from Ford. The new assembly features the hard line with a fitting on the wheel side that will let you attach the common rubber replacement line. I guess the good news is that in another 150k miles I can simply unscrew the rubber hose and replace it easily. Then again, there's always making new lines. It does, however, seem that someone could simply cut the hard connection very close to the rubber hose, clean it up, put a fitting on and flare it.....I don't know if there's enough overall slack in the way the lines are run to permit this. It would make sense though. I wanted a bolt-on solution and this seems to be it. The NAPA hoses are next to the Ford pieces. The Ford parts did not include the copper washers though. I'll buy some of those tomorrow when I return the rubber hoses to NAPA.

Quick Reply: 05 rear brake lines and hoses