Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 05 problems

So my brother had his 05 forever (30k miles). It has always ticked. It now has 170k miles on it and is ticking much worse and stalls at low rpm like shifting from forward to reverse. She shimmies and shakes and dies. It currently has new plugs, injectors, coils, camshaft positioning sensors and a whole slew of stuff that aren't related.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:18 AM

Forgot to mention 5.4. Ford ran it threw it's paces and came back with nothing is wrong. Cam phasers checked out fine. He did swamp it a month ago but it immediately shut itself off. We pulled intake and plugs and cleared the motor out of any water that might have gotten in. Cleaned throttle body and replaced maf. Ran some dry gas threw it also. It runs fine except in that one situation.

If anyone has any ideas we can try at home before having to take it to the mechanic it would be much appreciated. I keep telling him we need to drop a new motor in it and supercharge it...but I'm power hungry. He's just happy to have a running truck. Thanks y'all!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2014, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked or replaced the fuel pump driver module located above the spare tire? It's notorious for the back of corroding as its sitting on the steel crossmember. Maybe your o2 sensors too. That's all I can think of.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:05 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

If it's cutting out and stalling I too highly recommend checking the fuel pump driver module. If it has never been replaced I can guarantee it needs to be!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 PM

It's been replaced three times. Third time he relocated it.

Anyone know where to get a good quality remanufactured engine?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Tell us more about the ticking. Do you know where it's coming from (like the top, bottom, front, left side, right side, both sides, stuff like that). Is it really loud? Does it happen when hot, cold, both?
The reason I ask is because ticking can be caused by something as simple as fouled plugs, or as detrimental as bent/broken valves. Also, these injectors tick no matter what. So if it's faint, then it's just normal. Sometimes the phasers can pass computer tests, but still be faulty.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:52 AM

There has always been a faint ticking, which we've always assumed was the injectors. It's gotten much much louder on the passenger side. Happens all the time and adjusts with RPM. When it was swamped there was water sitting on the injectors. When we turned it over you could see air blowing the water upwards from the injector...we figured a blown injector seal so we replaced all the injectors. But, the ticking is still much much louder. He has thrown codes for retarded timing and camshaft positioning but once those sensors were replaced no codes have come back. It probably has about 100 miles on it since they were replaced and codes were cleared. I would assume they would have come back by now, and Ford could find nothing.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

That's some deep water. Hitting the water could have cooled off the exhaust manifold so fast that it warped or cracked. I think it's a long shot, but worth a look.
Unfortunately, if air was getting out, the water was getting in. And that could bend a valve, which would cause some terrible noise. It could also blow a head gasket. I would do a compression test next.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
That's some deep water. Hitting the water could have cooled off the exhaust manifold so fast that it warped or cracked. I think it's a long shot, but worth a look.
Unfortunately, if air was getting out, the water was getting in. And that could bend a valve, which would cause some terrible noise. It could also blow a head gasket. I would do a compression test next.
Yeah, it was roughly 4 ft deep. He's lifted 6" and it still got up that high when he hit it. I do agree with you, though. It ticks REALLY bad now. New engine is on order and will be put in next week.

Anyone have any experience with PROMAR engines?

Quick Reply: 05 problems