Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

'05 Passenger Side Front End Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Passenger Side Front End Clicking

I have noticed in the last few days to week or so a front end noise when turning right. The noise is a clicking noise when I go hard right turn. Then when I straigthen the wheels out, the noise continues until I get out of the gas. The engine RPMs drop below 600 and the engine about stalls. In 9/2008 I had vacuum lines replaced and in 5/2009 I replaced the driver side hub/wheel bearing assembly but not the passenger. Any thoughts on what might be causing this issue and should I be worried about screwing something up really bad by not fixing it right now...?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:28 PM

Could be a CV joint
Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 AM

Are CV joints hard to replace on your own? Are they expensive? It's almost like it bogs down...could this "lock up" the wheel?d
Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 PM

Replacement is not that difficult depending on your mechanical capabilities. Cost is not inexpensive, check the aftermarket, Moog, Timken, etc. The joint would have to be very bad, in fact ready to come apart before it would jam up and even at that it probably would not. Have the problem diagnosed before you start replacing parts!

Buy a book on the truck. I just bought the 3 Ford service manuals on eBay for 90.00. I think they cost 600.00 from Ford! Good luck
Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Might want to look into the caliper seizing up. Ive seen that in these trucks, im not sure if it could lock up so bad that it would stop the truck. Jack the truck up in the front and spin the wheels in the front and see if the wheel is real hard to turn. Just a thought.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:39 PM

Thanks I will check it out. I do work for Ford and should be able to pull up the service manual myself on how to replace a CV joint.

Not to change subjects, anyone ever had a lifter rattle on their 5.4L engine? Just picking up a little rattle, sounds like it is at the rear of the engine, might be exhaust as when I rev the engine it gets quiter but at idle and slow it rattles...
Old 10-29-2009, 10:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

cam phasers, get used to it. common issue on the 5.4's

changing the cv takes less than an hour
1.wheel off
2.remove the bolts from the cv on the diff side
3.undo the vacuum hose
4.pop off the dust cap, remove the cv axle nut
5.undo the upper control arm from the knuckle and let it swing outward
6.wrestle out the cv and reverse to install
7.make sure to get a new cv axle nuts and uca nut as well. cheap insurance.

also while the truck is tore apart, check the condition of the rubber seal on the actuator if it's brittle or cracked replace it.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:46 PM

Ok...work for ford and had a couple of gargae mechanics check out the noise. The first thing they said, change your oil. Did that noises went away. Had the "bog" down occur 1 time since the oil change only and that was earlier today when shifting from drive to reverse to back into a parking spot. Wondering is I should add a treatment to the oil or maybe "short change" just to make sure it is all "cleaned out". I was slightly over due for the change to begin with...any thoughts on the additive? I am currently running the 5W20 Valvoline Durablend oil.

Quick Reply: '05 Passenger Side Front End Clicking