Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 lariat 5.4 wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 05 lariat 5.4 wheel wobble

Noticed my tires were wearing on the inside so did my research and decided it was my lower ball joints.

Side note (a few months ago I had my local shade tree mechanic change my brakes and rotors) that's were I first noticed a wobble in my tire so I changed my wheel bearing.

Since then I replaced my coil overs and that's were I changed my wheel bearing the first time. A month later I decided to change lower ball joints and upper control arms as well as tie rod ends (I was gonna be all up in there any ways) so when I removed the wheel spindle assembly I noticed my bearing was shot so I went and replaced it. I put everything back together and noticed I still had a big wobble on my tire.

My question is... How do I check if it's the wheel spindle assembly or my rotor ? The first time I changed the bearing I had to press it in but this last time it slid in 3/4 of the way and rubber hammered the rest of the way in.

So... Any ideas as to what my next step should be? Oh and I haven't had it aligned yet until I fix the major wobble in my front passenger side tire.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Get an Alignment first, this could solve your problem.. depending on how bad the tires got worn , that could cause your wobble too.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:07 PM

It's hard to explain but when I say wobble I mean the tire literally has play in all directions. The driver side is sturdy so should the passenger side but it's not.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to follow this because I'm having the same problem. I've got new ball joints, hubs, outer tierods, and an alignment. It has a lot of play and vibrates/wobbles and random speeds. I've also got 37's so I think that could be part of the problem
Old 04-05-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peanutbutterlife
It's hard to explain but when I say wobble I mean the tire literally has play in all directions. The driver side is sturdy so should the passenger side but it's not.
I would try your upper control arms, the bushing could be bad and it wouldn't be able to be tight enough and could cause the whole wheel to "wobble"

I have a rough ride in my truck and that's part of my problem.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:38 PM

I replaced the upper control arm already. Also when everything was disconnected it still had the wobble.
So this is what I'm going to do... I'm going to put the disc from the driver side onto the passenger side to see if it still has that play. If it does then that means my wheel spindle assembly is bad.
I will do it this weekend and update what I find.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:39 PM

Oh... And I have the rwd 5.4 so it doesn't have a hub. It just has a disk and bearing. FYI.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by peanutbutterlife
Oh... And I have the rwd 5.4 so it doesn't have a hub. It just has a disk and bearing. FYI.
Have you checked the rotor bearing? Sealed 1 pc unit similar to a hub assembly, just much smaller.

EDIT - If you swap sides on the rotors, you will need to buy new spindle nuts. They are torque to yield and can only be used once.

You'll be able to check the bearing without swapping rotors so swapping sides would be excessive IMO

Last edited by nrivera04; 04-06-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Have you checked the rotor bearing? Sealed 1 pc unit similar to a hub assembly, just much smaller.

EDIT - If you swap sides on the rotors, you will need to buy new spindle nuts. They are torque to yield and can only be used once.

You'll be able to check the bearing without swapping rotors so swapping sides would be excessive IMO

Ive changed the bearing twice before and still same issue. waiting on the wife to get back so I can take truck apart and find out which part is defective.

will post up date later.

sidenote. Yes I know the spindle nuts are a one time use. Ive ordered some (six bucks a piece) and have new ones to replace them with. I do have to look up once again what the torque is to tighten them up.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jacksonwantsanf150
I want to follow this because I'm having the same problem. I've got new ball joints, hubs, outer tierods, and an alignment. It has a lot of play and vibrates/wobbles and random speeds. I've also got 37's so I think that could be part of the problem
Turns out my whole disk was bad. Being the weekend I had no choice but to go to oreillys and pick up a new brake disk. (I didn't change both of them because they are only 2 1/2 months old. ) that ran me 96.00 but problem solved.
I took both disk off and switched them just to make sure it wasn't the wheel spindle assembly. Now gonna switch it back and put the new one on. Hope this helps u out.

Quick Reply: 05 lariat 5.4 wheel wobble