Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 hub assembly replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 05 hub assembly replacement

Hey just bought this truck and guy thought the roaring was the tires but after driving 5.5 hrs home I discovered that it was the passenger wheel bearing and just bought the hub assembly and was wondering how hard it is to replace and if anybody has any tips and pointers gonna try and tackle it this weekend so any help is much appreciated

BTW 05 King Ranch 4WD loaded of course
Old 09-08-2014, 10:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought replacing the hubs was real easy on this truck. Find the DIY posts on replacing the IWE's and it will get you right in there... if you're down to the IWE's you can just unbolt the hubs and swap them out. I did both IWE's and hubs at the same time.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

Pretty easy job actually. Just did my passenger side over the weekend. More or less, take the wheel off, take the brake caliper and bracket off and hang it off to the side, keeping tension off the brake hose, and remove the rotor. Follow the abs wire from the hub, and detach all the attachment points. Pop the dust cap off and remove the 13mm nut on the end of the axleshaft. 4 18mm bolts hold the hub on from the back. Beat the hub out (if needed) going from side to side (mine came right out). Clean out the old grease in the exposed end of the IWE, regrease the IWE and the new hub engagement on the IWE and axleshaft. Reassemble.

A lot easier than the front bearings on my Explorer - I had to beat the heck out of those to get them out and fight with rustier hardware...

Search youtube for Fordtech Makuloco. He's got a video showing this exact job.
The following users liked this post:
Bigg Countryy55 (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 02:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Clean out the old grease in the exposed end of the IWE, regrease the IWE and the new hub engagement on the IWE and axleshaft.

^^I'd say this step is the most important and requires attention to detail!^^ And when you re-grease it use a good high quality grease, and do not use grease that has been sitting on the shelf in the garage for 3-5+ years. If it is not cleaned thorough enough or isn't re-greased properly (example too much grease, old/contaminated) it will cause the IWE to not fully engage/disengage from the hub when the truck is turned on/off or 2wd/4wd. And you'll start hearing a clicking noise every now and then coming from the wheel when you reverse or when you start to accelerate from a dead stop or slow roll. I replaced the drivers side on mine myself last fall and haven't had any issues. Then I had a shop replace the other assembly 3 months ago and for the past 2 months I've been getting the very annoying clicking noise coming from that wheel and I put in 4wd for the first time yesterday and had issues with it fully engaging going into 4wd then not fully disengaging going back to 2wd making the awful click noise the whole way down the mountain.
The following users liked this post:
Bigg Countryy55 (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Alright guys I appreciate this info I think the YouTube video will give me the best idea of how to tackle this.. It's crazy how dumb this guy was I'm only 17 and I knew after driving it that it wasn't the tires but thanks again guys

Quick Reply: 05 hub assembly replacement