Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 FX4 diesel sounds, should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question 05 FX4 diesel sounds, should I be worried?

Common problem I know, but I am not sure how to proceed at this point. Engine has 75,XXX on it and it could just be me being unfamiliar with the noise but I don't really hear the tick that everyone talks about. What worries me is that it DOES sound like a diesel, generally after its been warmed up or driven during the day, and that has been described as one of the symptoms. Is this something I need to have looked at ASAP? I would rather bite the bullet now than risk more damage further down the road. Is this going to cause me to have a lack of power? I am more or less familiar with what could be causing it thanks to the fine people on this forum and I am very sure I will have to have it shopped for these repairs. Besides a lack of time, I don't think I have the detailed engine knowledge to do all of the necessary repairs without risking engine damage. Is the price I will be quoted going to require me to be sitting down? Thanks again for all the help you fine folks give and sorry for all the questions!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Lots of these 5.4's are plagued by the diesel sound. Lots of threads already discussing it too.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

happened to me. I thought it was an exhaust leak. nope, bad cam phasers. get it fixed asap or end up like me replacing the engine. I would never buy a ford 5.4 ever again. the engine is plaqued with problems.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to mine. As stated above get it fixed. My rocker snapped off snapped the cam and put a dang lot of metal in the engine, couldn't be rebuilt, had to get new engine. Common and not cheap fix. Good luck

Quick Reply: 05 FX4 diesel sounds, should I be worried?