Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 F150 Plagued with stalling and misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 05 F150 Plagued with stalling and misfire

Friend of mine has a
05 F150 4x4 Auto
5.4L V8
Lariat

It started having the misfire issues that others have had, so coils got replaced with cheap coils, plugs were replaced and had to rent the tool to get the broken plugs out... that was fun!

Ran fine for a while then problem came back so coils got replaced again. I am not sure what coils he used the second time.

Four months ago he got hit, had to replace a headlight housing and driver quarter panel. Since then the truck likes to drop idle and die. It will be fine when pressure is applied to accelerator and it will idle fine, but if you press the gas while in park, then let off fast, it dips to about 350 rpm and sometimes will die. When going around a curve or coming to a stop it stalls out as well. I don't think it is just the cyl 2 misfire and there is another problem somewhere as well.

Truck is fine in Park/Neutral
Dips down in D or R

Codes that were on it we cleared are:
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire
P0506 Idle Air Control system RPM Lower than expected
P2195 02 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1
P2197 02 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 2 Sensor 1

After cleared got:
P0302

Pending codes:
P061B Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance
P2106 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power

I'm thinking the pending codes are a result of a different problem. I read on here to swap coils and see if the problem follows the coil, so I will have to do that, and if it does not, will swap injector.

Would a bad cat be causing enough back pressure to cause the engine to drop rpm and stall out?

The truck gets a lot of heavy use. The owner is a contractor so pulls a trailer quite a bit with the truck. It doesn't have any kind of warranty and is completely paid off. I am thinking of suggesting he keep it as his daily and get a diesel as a work rig.

Not related to problem but a 4x4 issue
Truck will go into 4 Low and the indicator light comes on. Will not go into 4 High but indicator light works as can be seen when key is turned on.

Last edited by javve; 03-08-2016 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Typo'd Engine Size
Old 03-07-2016, 06:38 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

remove and clean the throttle body and MAF sensor to start..
Old 03-07-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by javve
Friend of mine has a
05 F150 4x4 Auto
5.2L V8
Lariat

It started having the misfire issues that others have had, so coils got replaced with cheap coils, plugs were replaced and had to rent the tool to get the broken plugs out... that was fun!

Ran fine for a while then problem came back so coils got replaced again. I am not sure what coils he used the second time.

Four months ago he got hit, had to replace a headlight housing and driver quarter panel. Since then the truck likes to drop idle and die. It will be fine when pressure is applied to accelerator and it will idle fine, but if you press the gas while in park, then let off fast, it dips to about 350 rpm and sometimes will die. When going around a curve or coming to a stop it stalls out as well. I don't think it is just the cyl 2 misfire and there is another problem somewhere as well.

Truck is fine in Park/Neutral
Dips down in D or R

Codes that were on it we cleared are:
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire
P0506 Idle Air Control system RPM Lower than expected
P2195 02 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1
P2197 02 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 2 Sensor 1

After cleared got:
P0302

Pending codes:
P061B Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance
P2106 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power

I'm thinking the pending codes are a result of a different problem. I read on here to swap coils and see if the problem follows the coil, so I will have to do that, and if it does not, will swap injector.

Would a bad cat be causing enough back pressure to cause the engine to drop rpm and stall out?

The truck gets a lot of heavy use. The owner is a contractor so pulls a trailer quite a bit with the truck. It doesn't have any kind of warranty and is completely paid off. I am thinking of suggesting he keep it as his daily and get a diesel as a work rig.

Not related to problem but a 4x4 issue
Truck will go into 4 Low and the indicator light comes on. Will not go into 4 High but indicator light works as can be seen when key is turned on.
Make sure you do the battery relearn process as well after the throttle body cleaning. Get the truck up to operating temps, do the relearn process and take it for a good drive.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:17 AM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

*5.4L
Old 03-08-2016, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
*5.4L
Oops was posted after long day. Will fix!
Old 03-08-2016, 04:57 AM

Swapped the coil from cyl 2 to 6 and the problem followed the coil so a replacement one is getting put on. Found out they are lifetime coils from Autozone. Also discovered the plug for the coil was on it lose. It took a bit of pressure to get it to click tight. Would that have caused the coil to go bad?

Will clean the TB and MAF tomorrow. Need to get MAF cleaner. What is suggested to use to clean the TB on these trucks?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:44 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Yes it would..so, may be it was not bad... just not plugged in all the way.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 AM

When it was swapped over to #6 and everything plugged in all the way the problem followed the coil. What I was wondering is if it was a lose connection if that could cause the coil to go bad.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by javve
When it was swapped over to #6 and everything plugged in all the way the problem followed the coil. What I was wondering is if it was a lose connection if that could cause the coil to go bad.
It shouldn't.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:04 AM

Ahh okay so just a coincidence.

Thank you very much for all the info!

Cleaned the MAF and TB, replaced coil. Running like a champ. Now to fix the shoddy job someone did on the HID conversion (He did get projector lenses so it's legal). It has the halo/led daytime running lights that are not wired, and one of the bulbs was broke for the HID.... the joy of used.

On a side note, we can hear it go into 4x4 high but the indicator light does not come on. The light works. It goes into 4x4 low with the indicator light illuminating.

Quick Reply: 05 F150 Plagued with stalling and misfire