Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 F150 missing in OD....4.2 auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 F150 missing in OD....4.2 auto

I have an 05 F150 with a 4.2. It was missing and "chugging" under light acceleration between 45 and 60 in OD. I thought the worst, at first. I had read in other forums it was the spark plugs. They were right. I bought a set of plugs...ended up having to get a wire set too because I ruined TWO of them trying to pry them lose from the plugs. I also had a spare coil box/distributor (which burns out about every six to 8 months) I threw on as well. The plugs I pulled were not factory, they were NGK's...and looked bad. Really burnt...not black, but just tapered down. The truck had been missing in OD under light acceleration, trailer or no trailer. Hit the gas, and it kicks out of OD, all just fine.But the torque converter was absorbing the miss, as opposed to feeling straight torque off the motor in OD, because there's no mechanical connection between the engine and transmission, only a "fluid" connection, until the TC locks up, that's how I explain it.... So after about $100 in wires, coil box and plugs, which I truly believe could have been a $14 plug job, it runs like a scalled *** ape.Ive had these coil boxes burn out before...no warning, just starts running like someone snuck a Briggs and Stratton under the hood when you weren't looking.Just FYI, if yours is doing this...swap the plugs out.

Last edited by Jon Lequaid; 06-30-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 05 F150 missing in OD....4.2 auto