Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

05 F150 5.4l Spark plug Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 F150 5.4l Spark plug Removal

I have a 05 F150 Lariat 5.4l 3v.
I started my spark plug change yesterday. I turned the plugs 1/4 turn after applying Aero Kroil to the plug wells. After about a hour I figure what the heck Ill go ahead and try a easy to get one. I removed the first plug on the drivers side. (#1)? It came out in half. I have the Lisle tool on hand, so I extracted the other half fairly easily. I waited till this morning for the other. Turned them all another 1/4 turn and let them sit for a hour. I got two more out on the driver side. I get to the last one on that side and it started to come out easy. I figured that one broke since it was coming out so easy. Well it moved quite a bit. Now it seems that on the last thread or so it tightens up the clicks and gives. Ive turned it a hundred times. Im thinking its stripped now. Im fairly mechanicly inclined with automobiles. I do not want to pull the heads on this thing. I can but was hoping to avoid it. Any ideas guys? The problem I thought I would encounter wasnt the problem. Im stuck guys. Ive tried some long needle nose to turn it and pull up with no luck. Ive tried downward pressure with slow turning with no help.
Anything you guys have up youe sleeves would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine did the same exact thing on about 6/8, they do break in half and the pin will stick inside the ceramic or w.e it is, you need some 11" needle nose to grip the top (very painfully to the arms and knees) and pull it out then you can get the lisle tool down in there and finish the job... But if you get unlucky like i did id try my suggestion if you need it. Mine decided to do the same, so i pulled it out with the needle nose very carefully, then proceeded to thread the bottom part with the tool, then things got bad... it slipped, and stripped the lower piece that the tool would actually "thread into" on the very back passenger side plug, because hey i figured id save the worst for last. So the lisle tool was starting to get dull. and it was not working.... If it happens to you take the rod to the grinder and grind the top part of the threads some so it can dig deeper. Then try to clean the threads up best you can. I barely got mine to come out it was just luck and a angry last strike at the ratchet lol. Took 2 days to get 1 plug out.

That little bastard got its own place as a trophy peice, lol

Heres what i did to my tool

Last edited by MHOWELL34; 08-13-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 PM

Ok so I figured I would move to the next one while I figure things out. The same thing happened to it and then the next. Well I tried the needle nose with no luck. Then figured I would try a non spark plug socket. Pulled out my craftsman 12pt and blam it came out. I just had to reach in the well and pull it out. It seems the coil end of the plug (brain fart) was pushing all the way through the shell since the bottom ceramic broke off. It doesnt seem the threads are stripped on the plug. Perhaps the head. I hope not. They will thread back in just fine. Well I now how two more acting like that, so here goes nothing. The different socket didnt work on the 1st one that messed up. Ill give the pliers another go. Thanks for your reply
Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 PM

Picked up a deep well 14mm socket. Beat it on a bit. Then backed out the plug. Used the needle nose to get it the rest of the way out. If you have a well used 14mm it fits alot better. There is less slop using it than a 9/16.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

ah well glad you gettin somewhere, i just got the 9/16 spark plug puller with the swivel built in. Nothing special.

Quick Reply: 05 F150 5.4l Spark plug Removal