Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

'05 F150 4x4 Brake Suggestions

Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 F150 4x4 Brake Suggestions

I'm in need of new front brakes, typically towing a boat in the summer and not much else besides the random stuff. Any suggestions on brands?

What are OEM on these trucks? Standard or heavy use style?

I have a local shop that sells decent priced brake parts in the typical brand names: raybestos, wagner etc. Not sure if those are considered as good as OEM or worse or what.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go on eBay they sell slotted and drilled brakes all 4 corners with ceramic pads Ranging from170-230 or so it's cheap compared to my brother also buying the same style brakes from power stop brakes for like 300 or so Dollors
Old 01-12-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at Centric Parts, I'm thinking I want to stay away from ceramic pads. They aren't as good in colder weather and living in MN we definitely have that here.

I can get severe duty pads for $60 and premium rotors for $90 each...Has anyone had experience with Centric Parts?
Old 01-12-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Centric rotors are pretty much OEM. Nothing bad about them. I work for an auto parts store and we Rarely get any complaints about them. As for pads there is a new pad raybestos came out with called element 3. It is a hybrid pad that is both ceramic and semi metallic... I have had this pads on my truck for about 6 months. Just this weekend took it up the sandia mountains to about 10,000 feet and plenty of snow! Felt no change what so ever even riding the brakes the whole way down in neutral. Hope this helps
Old 01-12-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by REGALADER1
Centric rotors are pretty much OEM. Nothing bad about them. I work for an auto parts store and we Rarely get any complaints about them. As for pads there is a new pad raybestos came out with called element 3. It is a hybrid pad that is both ceramic and semi metallic... I have had this pads on my truck for about 6 months. Just this weekend took it up the sandia mountains to about 10,000 feet and plenty of snow! Felt no change what so ever even riding the brakes the whole way down in neutral. Hope this helps
don't mean to hijack but just curious, why ride the breaks in neutral while coming down the mountain? Mainly why neutral and not in gear? Just curious. Sorry, and thanks.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
don't mean to hijack but just curious, why ride the breaks in neutral while coming down the mountain? Mainly why neutral and not in gear? Just curious. Sorry, and thanks.
That question popped in my head too! Personally, I put the truck in a low gear and save my brakes. Brakes are far more important than a transmission. I learned that lesson as a teen when I lost almost all braking power.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:23 AM

Well I started to do it because the road was really icy and I was having a little fun with ABS. Not sure why I put it in Neutral for that... Then I was try to decide if it effected gas mileage... Basically I like to experiment with how the physics of my truck change from one climate to another with a threshold of different circumstances...
Old 01-19-2015, 08:51 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by REGALADER1
Well I started to do it because the road was really icy and I was having a little fun with ABS. Not sure why I put it in Neutral for that... Then I was try to decide if it effected gas mileage... Basically I like to experiment with how the physics of my truck change from one climate to another with a threshold of different circumstances...
thanks. Just curious. So did it effect mileage?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 AM

Nothing noteworthy... About 2/10ths of a mile extra per gallon. Went from 11.3 to 11.5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '05 F150 4x4 Brake Suggestions